Antec Phantom is here!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Antec Phantom is here!

Post by akaidiot » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:21 pm

Although it hasn't been offically announced by Antec it is currently sold in Australia för 260AUS + Austaralian VAT. I guess Antec will announce it very soon. I jsut thought I'd be first at SPCR. I probably am not..

Pulled from sweclockers.com

turtleman

Post by turtleman » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:44 pm

Hmm nice ..

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:45 pm

Hmm... a fanless PSU by antec. Expect it to be noisy still :) They will have a tiny speaker playing a fan noise @ 35dB ^.^

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:16 pm

acaurora wrote:Hmm... a fanless PSU by antec. Expect it to be noisy still :) They will have a tiny speaker playing a fan noise @ 35dB ^.^
LOL

I dunno man, i found the antec fan in my BQE case to be pretty awesome and undervolted it is silent with no clicking, best 120mm fan i have used yet expect maybe the nexus

~RaNDoM

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:29 pm

*except

The Nexus is quieter. Performs a tad less than the BQE one. The BQE one has a low hum.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:42 pm

Is it just me, or does it glow blue? Think there's LEDs or something inside?

If they've done nothing about efficiency, this thing is going to be flamin'-@$$ hot!!!!!! As it is, their actively cooled models are already among the warmest running PSUs I've ever personally bought for myself (in the past, in the past...).

Tad G

Post by Tad G » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:52 pm

That would make it a K-Mart "Blue Light Special" wouldn't it?

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:46 pm

Could be cold cathode.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:34 pm

ccfl, i doubt it.

The Antec Phantom - 2 in 1 device - Flaming hot power supply unit, AND...

A small grille! Fry yer eggs, bacon, burgers, hot dogs, fish, you name it! As long as it fits on the top, it's all good :) Quick! Buy one now, get the ThermalTake "Silent" Boost for only $999.99! :)

*dies laughing*

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:46 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Is it just me, or does it glow blue? Think there's LEDs or something inside?
Well, it is common knowledge that blue lights and related blings are cool. Therefore, that must be how they keep the fanless PSU from overheating :wink:

Edit : I just noticed that it's glowing blue without being plugged in. Maybe it's some technology recovered from crashed UFOs? :shock:

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:49 pm

IT'S BLUE KRYPTONITE! EVERYBODY RUN!!!!

juansolo

Post by juansolo » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:02 pm

Surely only Superman would need to run?

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:05 pm

Oh brother... let's drop it before ThermalTake gets involved. ~.~

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:42 pm

You people don't get it. Each of these power supplies is imbued with an ethereal spirit, hence the name Phantom. That's why it glows blue :D

I anticipate that Antec's offering will be strictly mediocre. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly not the best.

Spinner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Spinner » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:49 am

Check out that article on PCWorld

The unit is supposed to run at 85% efficiency :shock: That would beat even the Seasonic "Super" series or at least equal Revision 3. Let's hope Mike can get his hands on one when it officially gets out (still no word on it on Antec's site).

And the MSRP of 165$ US makes you think twice about going for it...

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:59 am

85%, huh? What's it got inside, a Flux Capacitor?!?

Sledge

Post by Sledge » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:33 am

Edward Ng wrote:85%, huh? What's it got inside, a Flux Capacitor?!?
Antec, in this house we OBEY the laws of physics!

/Simpsons :D

DonP

Post by DonP » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:40 am

I think it's blue because there is a big chunk of glacial ice in there because it runs just SOOO cool.

Oh, and Edward, don't be silly - Flux capacitors don't exist. :)

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:04 am

Bah, laws of physics; you think they'd really implement a black hole engine? I don't think so! :P

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:19 am

If it's not on our site it's not shipping. Simple rule we follow.

Yes pricing info has been made available to our channel partners so it's not too surprising that someone may be taking orders before they actually get them in.

AFAIK though we are not shipping anywhere in the world right now.

And as with any new product launch (at least for us) quantities will be limited early on.

Yes there's a blue LED along the back of it, so people can easily tell that it's on.

AntecRep

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:29 am

AntecRep wrote:Yes there's a blue LED along the back of it, so people can easily tell that it's on.
I have a question then. Does the LED stay on after the supply has been unplugged (perhaps drawing power from a discharging capacitor)? I'm more curious to know how accurate that photo is, i.e. if that is just a picture of the chassis with a blue LED inside.

nickdeck

Post by nickdeck » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:41 am

Using Photoshop, it would be a simple matter to "unplug" it and have it still be "on."

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:03 pm

Interesting that they've totally change the design of the Phantom - the original one simply had a pointy HS protruding from the back, whereas now, they seem to have turned the whole PSU into a HS.

I'm just about to buy a V1000 Lian Li - does anyone reckon it's going to cause problems because the PSU compartment is at the bottom of the case?

DonP

Post by DonP » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:42 pm

nickdeck wrote:Using Photoshop, it would be a simple matter to "unplug" it and have it still be "on."
Actually - maybe there is a fan and it's been photoshopped out! (I'm just kidding AntecRep! I'm actually monitoring the fanless PSU situation carefully because one day, I'll probably buy one)

On a more serious note, I;ve just had a thought..
The grille at the back is there to let heat escape.. however iff you have negative case pressure (I do) then surely air and DUST will be sucked in - dust isn't a good thing to have in a hot PSU.
Are there holes at the other end of the PSU too? Or is the grille at the back the only hole? If there aren't any then I guess dust isn't that much of a problem after all.

Becks

Post by Becks » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:10 pm

Most fanless powersupplies seem to have some issue with very little case airflow... assuming I kept the top of the ps (that big heatsink) cool ... does it matter how much air is flowing through the powersupply?

Is the phantom going to be avialable anywhere specific? Frys/newegg? (when it is released)

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:23 am

I have waited this since it got announced!

A few questions:

- Can it be mounted outside the case, just outside the cases psu hole, ie does it have places for mounting screws on the opposite side of the psu than the usual?

- Can that blue led be turned off without shutting the whole psu down without modding? I plan to run the computer 24/7 in my bedroom and i dont want any extra lights during night. Or at least is it so dim that it wont lit the whole room?

- Estimate how soon it will be available in Finland?

- When will mikeC get a sample for review! :)

- Does it have a plug for psu temp monitoring?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:02 am

How would they integrate a temp. monitoring signal? What would they design it to be compatible with? Mainboards do not come with thermal sensor ports, only fan speed ports. There are many differently designed front expansion panels with temperature sensing, but the majority of them have their diodes preinstalled, and the rest where the diodes are detachable all have different types of actual connectors. You wouldn't even know if the signal would be compatible, even if the connector fit.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:42 am

Well it just came to my mind that it would be a good idea if motherboards provided a connector and psus generally had such plug. Didnt think of it further. At least you wouldnt need to mod an expensive psu and lose the warranty. Since there generally is a smbus on mobos, it wouldnt be very expensive to provide one connector where you can hook into it. But this is offtopic, sorry.