Ahanix.com SilenX vs. SilenX.com SilenX

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Rory B.

Ahanix.com SilenX vs. SilenX.com SilenX

Post by Rory B. » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:07 am

I am wondering about the Ahanix-made SilenX products. They look to be the real deal, right? I'm looking at the Ahanix SilenX 14dBa 300w power supply. It should be plenty quiet, for a right price. I would like to know who to trust: SilenX.com or Ahanix.com?

If Ahanix isn't the real deal but still delivers on the performance and true noise ratings, then I might just buy from Ahanix in order to stick it to SilenX whose proprietor seems to be Public Enemy #1 around here.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:22 am

wtf... 2 SilenXs?

. . .

again, wtf... ?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:13 am

For those with less than a year or so of involvement here at SPCR, it may serve you well to read the Open Letter re: Peter Kim & silenx.com and it's linked forum thread for some background info on the Ahanix/ExoticPC Silenx and the Silenx.com Silenx debacle.

Then again, that may only confuse you more. :roll:

In a nutshell: (based on my only limited understanding of the situation)

Peter Kim used to work for Ahanix. At some point, he and a group of employees left Ahanix, and took the "silenx" name with them. The details on the who/why/how of that are clear as mud, but its safe to say that the split was not amicable. Judging by the inflamatory rhetoric on Silenx.com's site, some serious personal hatred is involved, at least on Peter Kim's part. The ownership Silenx trademark appears to be the subject on ongoing debate. (I think I remember hearing talk of a lawsuit at one point, but I'm not sure)

P.K.'s infamy here at SPCR has nothing to do with Ahanix, the trademark dispute, or his products:

It's due to his use of fraud as an official marketing policy. It's employed in his product descriptions to this day, and was used for months here at SPCR by himself and employees under his direction to defame his competitors and to intentionally decieve his potential customers.

Everything that Silenx.com sells is available somewhere else. They manufacture nothing. I, for one, choose not to reward them for lying to me by giving them money. I choose to buy elsewhere.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:34 am

Rusty075 wrote:Everything that Silenx.com sells is available somewhere else. They manufacture nothing. I, for one, choose not to reward them for lying to me by giving them money. I choose to buy elsewhere.
Hm... Debates aside I liked silenx fans, any idea where I can get more of them at a lesser price? Thanks...

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:44 pm

As far as I can tell they are ADDA's. ("Hypro" bearings are an ADDA patent)

I think Mouser carries them.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:16 pm

:o :shock: 253 Different types of ADDA DC Fans. :shock: :o

That will take some time to find the right one. :twisted:

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:34 pm

or you can limit the search to 12V fans, and reduce it to 149 types.

Or just look on catalog page #1161 & 1162

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:49 pm

Actually, if you ask Peter Kim, he will tell you that ADDA maufacture to a custom spec for him...

but then again... the past behaviuor makes you question what he says.

anyways.... I have a silenx 400w PSU (from silenx.com) and it has run 24x7 since I bought it (July 2003). Hasn't skipped a beat.

I bought this AFTER knowing about the whole silenx/ahanix thing, and PK's behaviour... because it just had to be tried.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:53 pm

You can use this to search Adda's fans http://www.adda.com.tw/products/index.htm

Though there is not one that matches SilenX's claimed raitings. This is the one I would guess that SilenX uses.

DC-Fan 80x80x25 19.33cfm 14dba AD0812DB-A71GL

The 19.33 cfm is closer then what SilenX claims the airflow is I think. The fans are quieter then anything I have used so far, not 14 dba though.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:53 pm

Adda making custom spec fans for PK is not farfetched, actually. Most of the big OEM fan makers will do that for you, if you agree to buy in quantity.

I know for Panasonic the magic number was 1000 units.

Now if you just gather up 999 of your friends you can have those louvered housing, closed corner, 38mm thick, 24 volt, thermally controlled, RPM sensing, 92mm low speed panaflo's you've always wanted. :lol:

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:17 pm

You forgot what was really custom spec'ed for PK: the color of the plastic.