Tagan vs Noistaker vs Fortron 120mm vs SilenX

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Ulgen

Tagan vs Noistaker vs Fortron 120mm vs SilenX

Post by Ulgen » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:57 am

Living in Norway, these are the brands available that I consider the most silent. But which one is the most silent? I'm aiming at the "around 400W" mark.

Tagan
Enermax Noisetaker
Fortron/Source w/120mm fan
SilenX
Nexus

I can see from the recommendation that SilenX is better than the Noisetaker on minimum noise, though the Noisetaker is better when the power ramps up. How much does it take to keep the SilenX at minimum? And how does Tagan and Fortron compare?

And I'm not really into fanless psu's... 8)

Edited: Nexus added to the list, found a norwegian reseller...
Last edited by Ulgen on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:36 am

If you can get the Seasonic Super Silencer or Super Tornado 400W, or the Nexus NX4090, those would (probably) be quieter than any you have listed.
Of those you list, I'd go with the Noisetaker - the Tagans are usually very good, but some have components on the internal PCBs that buzz, and people have had trouble getting hold of Tagan support.

Ulgen

Post by Ulgen » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:58 am

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find Seasonic or Nexus psu's, unless they're sold under another brand here. Why would you pick the Noisetaker over the Tagan? Because I wouldn't have any worries ordering from the shop selling Tagan here in Norway, if that's what you were thinking of.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:06 am

The SilenX is going to be the quietest. Though, most likely, it is just a Fortron with a SilenX fan in it. So you could pick up a Fortron and put a SilenX fan in it if you are up to it.

tinyrodent

SilenX fanless

Post by tinyrodent » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:30 am

Hi,

I recently put together a system with a SilenX Luxurae 460 Watt Fanless Power Supply. It's a big heavy thing with heatsink fins that stick out the back. Despite that, when under load it still dumps a lot of heat inside the case. That's ok for me because I'm using external watercooling for the CPU & video card (Zalman Reserator) but for others it might require additional case cooling or modifications.

Also I must point out that although this power supply is fanless, it is NOT noiseless. There is electrical hum which is quite audible if the ambient noise level in the room is low. It's about #3 on the list of noisy things to deal with in my office now.

Brett

Ulgen

Post by Ulgen » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:49 am

Brett,
Thanks for your input. Although fanless would be cool (definately no pun intended :wink: ) I'm really interested in psu's with fans for the time being, both because of the economical and practical aspect... :wink:

philmoune
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by philmoune » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 am

Ulgen wrote:Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find Seasonic or Nexus psu's, unless they're sold under another brand here. Why would you pick the Noisetaker over the Tagan? Because I wouldn't have any worries ordering from the shop selling Tagan here in Norway, if that's what you were thinking of.
Nexus PSUs can be found at www.nexustek.nl (they have a list resellers in different countries) or directly at www.silentpcshop.nl (WW shipping)

Ulgen

Post by Ulgen » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:56 am

Hey, cool. Just found out that the norwegian Nexus reseller has started selling the Nexus NX-4090, and that at a good price. So is this the most silent 400W from the brands I listed? (List is updated... :wink: )

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:17 pm

i would go with the nexus if you can't find the seasonic super tornado
after working with 120mm psu, i've never gone back to 80s. the 120 are way more quiet, and move alot more air.
my super tornado runs idle at 800 rpm, its amazing

Kingcow

Post by Kingcow » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:07 pm

Why not give Coolmax w/ 140mm fan a try - http://www.coolmaxusa.com/products_powe ... sp?item=29 .

:lol: :lol:

Kingcow

Ulgen

Post by Ulgen » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:27 pm

Thanks a bunch for you input! :)

Noizz:
I'm just a little bit sceptical to the Nexus, as it's rated 6+ (on noise) on SPCR's PSU recommendation list, as opposed to the Noisetaker's 8, or the SilenX' 7. How is the Nexus more silent? Is the list wrong?

Kingcow:
Firstly because I've never heard of them (and no one's recommended them before; I'd like to see a review of it here on SPCR). And secondly, and most important, I can't find a place to buy it in Norway (that's why I didn't list it... :wink: )

Atmos

Post by Atmos » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:41 am

It looks to me that the Nexus in the recommended section is for the old nx 4000 which I think had a 80mm fan and not the latest nx 4090 which has the highly rated 120mm fan. Also I think the way the fan speed ramps up under load may be different. Worth checking.

Ulgen

Post by Ulgen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:00 am

Why, of course, you're right, Atmos. Never checked that review out. Worth checking? Absolutely, but where? Anyone seen some reviews that compare the 4000 with the 4090?

But how do you guys know that the Nexus is more silent than the Noisetaker, when it's not listed on the recommended list here on SPCR? Did you compared them yourselves?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:02 am

The NX-4090 is not yet reviewed by SPCR. The general opinion of people who bought it and reported on the forums is that it is very quiet. But nothing definitive is known till it is reviewed.

pcweltz

Post by pcweltz » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:20 am

The Nexus 4090 is a Fortron FSP400-60THN with the Nexus 120mm fan installed and a black paint job. You could probably "roll your own" much cheaper by just installing a Nexus or Globe 120mm in a stock FSP400-60THN. Fortron/Sparkle also has a new 120mm model hitting the streets, the AX500-A. It's a 460W version with a blue paint job and a blue fan; goes for $71 to $90 dollars.

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:27 pm

I am not sure of your exact criteria for choice, but wanted to let you know you could have some level of confidence with the Tagan... I am certainly happy with mine :) Put it this way, I just finished passive cooling my graphics card and adding the most recommended Zalman 7000B and some foam to improve the cases noise dampling qualities....

Now for me the loudest thing is the CPU fan in the Zalman and that is with the fanmate turned most of the way down (around the 20% mark, which I am guessing is around 1,000 rpm).... that should give you an idea - plus the nice thing with the Tagan is they give you plenty of scope to use the full wattage - comes with SATA connectors and FAR FAR more molex than I can use (even though I do have two optical and two HD's!)

Just some thoughts from a relative newcomer here/

Ulgen

Post by Ulgen » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:38 am

Well, now I'm even more in doubt. But still, thanks for the input! :wink: Both the Nexus and Tagan seems interesting, although I'd really like to read reviews of it here on SPCR. The AX500-A also sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if Fortron is the ultimate silent-psu-maker any longer... :roll:

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:55 am

Fortron is not necessarily the quiet PSU source. But what they DO produce are some of the most stable, rugged PSUs out there that you can easily mod for quiet operation.

I've modified a Vantec Ion and an Antec TruePower 380s until now and none of them ran reliably with the low-flow fans I put in. The 3 year old Fortron didn't even hiccup.

That's why you'll find most of the recommended PSUs (Zalman, Nexus, etc) based on Fortron designs.

mshan

Post by mshan » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:03 am

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... 966&depa=0

Anyone know the specs on the stock fan?

How would replacing it with a Globe or Nexfus fan do, especially with the thermal knob turned all the way down? (does it still ramp up too quickly)?