PSU Whine PLAGUE

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

maxxy

PSU Whine PLAGUE

Post by maxxy » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:15 am

Hey guys,

Im sure many of you have PSU's that whine due to certain components in your system (namely Radeons). Anyone have any idea how to stop these whines? Perhaps drown the copper coils in thermal silicone (like arctic ceramique)? Or perhaps some hot glue?

If anyone has any ideas on how to kill this problem then I'm willing to be the guinea pig and try it on my PSU (voided warranty on it anyway).

Cheers

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:00 pm

Welcome to SPCR

If you search the forums for "coil whine" or "coil noise", then you will find several discussions about this. (Don't forget to select the second radio button on the search page.)

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:06 am

Welcome to SPCR. Tibors is correct in saying that there have been a few solutions suggested. I think the best idea was hot glue. I'd have a search before you go ahead to see if you can find some tips. Let us know how you get along with your mod, and good luck :)

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:54 pm

I have a question related to this but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Is coil whine at a high pitch? I can hear a high pitched whine come out of my PSU duct. Is that coil whine?

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:44 am

Yeah, coil whine is high pitched. You could well be hearing coil whine coming from your PSU duct.