whats the quietest fanned approx 400 watt psu please.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

hugekebab

whats the quietest fanned approx 400 watt psu please.

Post by hugekebab » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:31 am

hi whats the quietest fanned psu-i really dont think ymy system will hand the temp of those fanless things cus its already pretty high.

cheers

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:00 am

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:55 am

i cant find the actual list, they mention the list of recommended psus but there is no list :? can u give me a direct link to the list of reccommended psus plz.

cheers

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:29 am

It's on page 3.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:59 am

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:50 am

OMFG it's so difficult!!!

:lol:

J/k...

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 am

Edward Ng wrote:OMFG it's so difficult!!!

:lol:

J/k...
Actually, I was considering taking a screenshot of the list and posting the jpg right here, but I reconsidered and figured that clicking the mouse once on my link would provide much needed exercise to the sedentary geeks around here. :)

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:08 am

"82% makes this 470W non-PFC model the new efficiency champ. Though min. noise is bettered by Seasonic, SilenX and Nexus models (in med & high power categories) due to dual fans' bearing noise, for high power systems, it will likely stay at min spin speed to higher power level and temp than ever recorded before. Cables way too stiff! Reviewed Price: ~$99. April 4/04. "

this is the enermax noisetaker, they give it an 8 for noise rating yet they6 claim that psus they gave a lower noise score for qwere in fact quieter.

also i read the review for the top 400 watter the seasonic and they said it wasnt that quiet.

can someone help me here cus this is confusing, i just want the quietest 400 watt psu, what do u guys use for instance?

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:58 am

Something tells me that you are looking for the "Guaranteed Perfect Solution". I'm afrad I'll have to shatter that illusion for you now. There just is no perfect PSU.

Different people have different requirements. The list you have been linked to is the best knowledge that the reviewers on this site have. You, yourself will need to determine exactly what you want. Saying you want the quietest 400W PSU is not sufficient. You need to know how much power your system is drawing in order to work that out....just like the reviews tells you. You will also want to work out just how much airflow you want going through the PSU. Some ppl use the PSU to aid system cooling, you may want to be one of them.

You will have to invest significant time and effort if you want to get the best results. If really cannot be bothered then I would suggest you buy a machine that has already been built for you.
Last edited by luminous on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8300ati

Post by 8300ati » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:28 pm

" whats the quietest fanned approx 400 watt psu please"
A simple enough question ! Based on an excessive(obsessive) amount of time reading posts on this site I believe the Nexus NX-4090 could be it. It is 400W and with its' big 120mm fan will (almost)silently add to the amount of cooling in your case. It is not known for ramping up. It does't seem to suffer from reliability issues and it is certainly a lot quieter than my previous stock Dells' :) . To find out more click on search on this site and toggle "search all terms".
Last edited by 8300ati on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:57 pm

Hi hugekebab - welcome and all - tell us more about your setup and situation and esp. why you do not think your setup can handle passive.... I have a feeling you could get more out of this site (trust me I KNOW these people KNOW their stuff!) but you have to give them the cudd to chew (so to speak!)... plus I admit - I am curious!

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:29 pm

there is not perfect psu lol. there is no most silent psu.
remember the noise scale used at spcr is more sensitive to us "hardcore silent people"
my friend has a zalman psu he says its silent, but to me....its freAKing loud.
so unless you are reallly a silent addict, u should do more research in what you buy, learn from your mistakes, i prob gone through 3 so called "silent" psus and i was not happy with them, wasting alot of money :( . but you learn from your mistakes.

my current psu is the seasonic super tornado 400w. i've actually found it silent in my terms. i can barely hear it over my nexus 120 case fan. my super tornado runs at 800 rpm idle, so its really silent. IMO 120mm fans are much better than 80s. i'ld go with the super tornado for its high eff. if you cannot find it go with the nexus.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:21 pm

k my system specs are

amd 2700+ with papst mgm 80 mill fan
120 gig hdd
radeon atlantis ultra edition (no fan just heatsink)
no case cooling.
asus a7n8x deluxe rev 1
1 gig 333 ram

when i look at the system temp in bios it frequently says temps in the 50's and high fortys which worries me.

also in the summer i think my graphics card was overheating cus i was getting some strange behaviour in games weird artifacts oin screen and colours.

well basically my priority is silence, currently i have an enermax whisper and its a nightmare the second fan is constantly ramped up and screaming like a bitch. drives me mad, dont get me wrong i dont mind hearing a low noise of the fan but any screeching, high pitched noises drive me up the wall.

are there any fanless options cus i will consider fanless if its under 70 quid.

cheers.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:33 pm

1) You could easily get by with a 350W PSU, if not a 300W PSU.

2) Do some case cooling. Very few PSUs are quiet when you bake them. Your PSU is soley responsible for removing 120W of heat energy from your case.

3) The Enermax Whisper doesn't (but you knew that already).

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:19 am

hugekebab wrote:...are there any fanless options cus i will consider fanless if its under 70 quid...
You'd need to either save another 20-30£ to go fanless - or think about a Mod (there was one at least posted up here that a lady did very nicely and saved herself a fortune) - it will depend how "handy" you are I suppose (personally I do not think you have to be so "brave" if you are sensible and confident).

But I looked into fanless and there is a premium to pay, naturally, and you would have to look at higher budget than that. IMO you do not need to go fanless for the quietness you seek witht the spec. of your system - these folks are right, a 400W PSU is more than you currently require.

Regarding your temps - do not worry too much unless unstable - my current temps are 46oC case and 65oC CPU!

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:27 am

ok thanks but i want the extra wattage for future upgrades (im considering buying two sata hdd's this week to stick em on raid.)

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:06 am

You can get the Nexus NX-4090 for £53 from Kustom PCs. The Super Tornado 400W is £81.99 and the Etasis 300W fanless is £110 from Kool'n'Quiet. Plus P&P.
Your budget dictates the Nexus, and I think you'll find it quiet enough for you. Especially if you stick a low speed case exhaust fan underneath it, so you're not exhausting all your PC's heat through the PSU.

inet

Post by inet » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:53 am

All the more quiet PSUs will remove less hot air than one with higher fan speeds. It is always either higher-case temp vs lower noise

Expect an increase in case temp using one of these recommended units. On the noisetaker 475 model for example I've seen ppl mention a 3-5 increase in celcius for cpu temps compared to their older PSU (whatever brand they used). I can vouch for the fact that it is quite a bit more hotter on my rig with the 475 compared to my antec 400.

I wouldnt want to for example use the same overclocking settings on my vid card without retesting it.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:09 am

ok guys thanks. to be honest inm not too bothered in a 4 c increase in temp. at the moment i have the enermax cough* whisper *cough psu, and i reckon with those 120 mill fans the nexus will probably be better than anything relse for coolling. how loud can the nexus go in a hot case? anyone here got one?

Dirty-Harry

Post by Dirty-Harry » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:38 pm

I have a Nexus NX-3000... it's okay... but right now it's my loudest component. The Nexus NX4090 looks tempting for my Athlon 64 upgrade one day.

Dave404

Penny pinching

Post by Dave404 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:34 am

If you want to save a few quid on a Nexus 4090, Novatech (novatech.co.uk) has them for 49.56, although KustomPCs probably has the better after-sales service if there should be any problems.

I'm v. happy with my 4090. Because it's operating well below its capacity, the fan never spins up. So long as you're not relying on the PSU fan to cool your case, this is a Good Thing!

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:08 am

welll ive just installed the 4090 and im blown away by its total silence, i never thought my comp would be this quiet EVER! now the only components that are audible in order are 1 seagate harddrive (soon to be replaced by two spinpoints, and the pabst cpu fan.

if anyone can reccomend an ultra quiet 80 mill fan that i can pop on my heatsink i wuld be gr8ateful cus i reckon i can get this system almost totaly silent. cheers

8300ati

Post by 8300ati » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:16 am

ascii

Post by ascii » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:24 am

hugekebab: The Papst fan is pretty quiet when undervolted. If you are running it at stock speed I would recommend that you buy a case fan and two fan controllers. Then undervolt both you CPU fan and your case fan.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:02 pm

it says the nexus fdan in the link is a case fan not a cpu fan...or are these the same?

8300ati

Post by 8300ati » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:02 pm

I do'nt think you will find a fan that says it is a CPU fan ! The fan usually comes with the heatsink. If you want to swap it for another fan you will have to find a case fan that is suitable in size to fit your heatsink. The only variation that I am aware of is depth. The Nexus is 25mm. I believe the Papst is also, so I guess it should be swappable. Perhaps you could post a query on the CPU cooling section to verify swappability as I have never swapped a heatsink fan (yet !)
I can only vouch for the quietness of Nexus fans. I am using a 92mm Nexus case fan as a case fan and can honestly say that it adds zero noise to my system , while it is running at 5 volts
By the way you will find it cheaper at Koolnquiet http://www.koolnquiet.co.uk/index.php?main=catalog&id=4
but you will have to wait for them to phone you to collect payment and their delivery charges are usually overstated on their website.

As Ascii suggested you may wish to consider a Zalman fanmate to reduce the fan speed and so less noise. This works by varying the voltage supplied to the fan from 5 to 11 volts but keep an eye on CPU temps. Bear in mind though that the Nexus is already running at only 1500rpm which is at the low end for a heatsink fan.