extra wires!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mr pink

extra wires!

Post by mr pink » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:14 pm

What do you do with the extra p/s wires?

Cut them off?

Tuck them on top between the case and ps?

I have alot and they really get in the way.

Thanks

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:31 pm

most of the time i just hide them. but if you know that you are never going to use them, just cut them off, and put electrical tape over each wire to make sure there dont make contact with each other, and then just put some heatshrink over the bindle over covered wires.

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:54 pm

I felt the same way when I got my first 'quality' power supply. But they're pretty much all like that now. I thought the amount of wires was just rediculous and I could never find a place to put them. But you get used to it and I don't even notice them anymore. You find clever ways to get them out of the way.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:33 pm

I cut mine off inside the PSU casing and covered the ends in insulation tape.

My hardware configuation gives good enough performance that I'm unlikely to upgrade for a year or so, and frankly having been through five PSUs in the quest for silence I now regard them as a disposable item. So if, when I upgrade, I decide I need more power outlets and can't reinstate the ones in my current PSU, I'll simply buy another PSU and mod that. Probably an extreme solution, but I value tidyness in my case!

My €0.02.

msm_zgok

Post by msm_zgok » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:57 pm

I hide them in the unused 5.25" bays.

wim

Post by wim » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:26 pm

i hide them away behind the motherboard tray. i.e. it goes motherboard -> motherboard tray -> unused cables -> right case side.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:41 pm

Same as wim. The wires on my supply are long enough for me to route them around the back of the motherboard to the HDD and CD burner. Makes it a lot more tidy.

Unused ones -- tuck them between the back of the motherboard and secure them w/ a piece of tape, then I put the side panel on.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:43 am

Same as Wim here too. My extras are anchored along the back of the upper case then routed out behind my drive cages in my instance. Then the extra is tie wrapped to the case in some fashion.

I would not recommend cutting anything off. If you add a component and need a connector, you'd be SOL.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:12 am

I never, ever cut any wires. Who knows what I'll need in the future.

I tuck mine behind and on top of the PSU and behind the mobo tray.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:36 am

Most cases have some sort of unused areas either at the top of the PSU or beside it (towards the right side) Ralf has his fanmates up there. Careful bundling and securing with zipties & duct tape usually gets everything out of the way.

I also never, ever cut anything. And I try to use as few lines as possible

mr pink

Post by mr pink » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:49 am

wim wrote:i hide them away behind the motherboard tray. i.e. it goes motherboard -> motherboard tray -> unused cables -> right case side.
Great idea, hadnt thought of that.