How to passively cool an Enermax 250WATT micro ATX PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Link19

How to passively cool an Enermax 250WATT micro ATX PSU

Post by Link19 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:28 pm

I have an Enermax 250WATT micro ATX power supply. I intend to build a complete passively cooled system. Is there any chance I could replace the two fans on the PSU with heatsinks and passively cool it while keeping it cool enough? The system will not draw much power as it will be a mobile Athlon XP 1400 undervolted and underclocked, and I intend to buy a small micro ATX case that I can passively cool the system with effectively. So, anyway I can modify the PSU for passive cooling while keeping it cool enough?

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:04 pm

Link19

Post by Link19 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:11 am

Is that the only way to passively cool a power supply that comes with fans by default? I mean I read through that whole process, and it sounds like something extremely difficult accomplish. Is there anyway i could leave the Enermax PSU in the same PSU casing and just replace the fans with good heatsinks for passive cooling? That way would be so much easier than to take the whole PCB board and wires out of the PSU casing and strap them to the PC chasis.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:25 am

How I spent my Saturday afternoon by StealthGirl.

She still used one slow fan. With your low power consumption, you might be able to run it fanless.