PC Power & Cooling Silent power supplies

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

daba
Friend of SPCR

PC Power & Cooling Silent power supplies

Post by daba » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:36 pm

Has anyone tried any of these? My powersupply is currently the loudest thing in the case.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/ ... /index.htm

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:24 pm

I haven't tried one recently, but the last PCP&C silencer I tried wasn't terribly quiet to begin with.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: PC Power & Cooling Silent power supplies

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:54 am

daba wrote:Has anyone tried any of these? My powersupply is currently the loudest thing in the case.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/ ... /index.htm
And if you buy one of those PCP&C PSUs, it will remain the loudest thing in your case.

Look at the "Recommended PSUs" article on the main site and choose something from there in the wattage range you're thinking of.

PsychoStreak

Post by PsychoStreak » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:00 pm

Ralf: I've been meaning to ask you if you'd had a chance to test out one of the new Silencers. They're not the same units as before. They're using a Nidec fan in them that's very, very quiet. I've got 2 of the 360W and one 410W so far, and they're all much quieter than my older Silencer 275s are, and far and away quieter than my 400W unit. Also, they've maintained the solid stability they're known for and the prices are quite reasonable.

I don't have the gear to measure it, but I'm pleased enough that I'm going to get a few more and will most likely use them in any builds I do going forward.

Also, they are most certainly not the loudest thing in the case anymore.

In fact, I'd be willing to send you one if you intend to review it for the site.

It's time to take another look at them.

DG

Post by DG » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:29 am

1. Are the PCP&C Silencer, colored in black, like on the pcp&c site?
2. How hot are these psus, to the touch, , inside a normal pc case?

tibetan mod king

PC Power and Cooling... all models are noisy

Post by tibetan mod king » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:15 pm

I have two of their 510 XE Deluxe PSU's and even with a thermo-controller, these models are extremely noisy at 25 degrees Celsius ambient temp. As these PSUs are rated at 50 degrees, my belief is that the thermo-control people at PC Power and Cooling don't have it dialed in very well. The load on one of these power supplies is also minimal and it is still very loud.

A friend of mine went with a Silencer 470 (about 1 month old now) and it is also very noisy. I just laugh. I don't think Nidec makes quiet fans. Also beware it is not always the same fan for a given model of PSU. One of my 510 XE Deluxe units uses a Nidec; the other a 3-blade Delta for example.

In short, I'd skip the PC Power and Cooling (or mod it) if you want quiet.

PsychoStreak

Post by PsychoStreak » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:42 pm

1. Yes, the current Silencer's are black. The older models were silver/gray.
2. Not very warm. I haven't taken precise temps, but I can say that they don't get as warm to the touch as a Seagate 7200.7 does.

I've got a pair of Silencer 360's and a 410 currently. They are both very quiet. The 410 is actually in my server and you can't really hear it over the idle noise of the HD's, or the 120mm globe fan in the rear. (That's in an Antec SLK3700AMB.)

The Nidec fans in the 360 and 410 at least are in fact quiet. The specs for the 470 indicate that it's louder, so that's not surprising, although I honestly doubt it's as loud as the one in the Turbo Cool 510 which I have powering my dual MP system.

tibetan mod king

Post by tibetan mod king » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:20 pm

The basic facts of the matter is that all of these different fans in the PC Power and Cooling units are 80mm fans. I have yet to see a "quiet" Nidec fan, but I could imagine that running the Nidec in my 510 XE Deluxe at a much lower RPM would be "quieter" --- but I doubt it would be "quiet".

And ironically enough when the 510 XE Deluxe -- with the 3-blade Delta -- I have in my dual Opteron workstation was brand new it was very quiet. After 10-20 minutes, though, it turned into a noisy monster and the fan seems like it is always running full blast. It is my belief that due to the internals design of the 510 XE, any 80mm fan inside the case will not cool the unit very well.

My pal's Silencer 470 was always "quieter" than the 510 XE Deluxe, but never "quiet". It doesn't have the drone of the Delta fan in my 510 XE though. More of a high-pitched whirring/whining that is annoying in a different way.

PC Power and Cooling states that the Silencer 470 needs only 22-34 CFM of air to cool it, but the 510 XE requires 30-44 CFM. Why a power supply that supply even 10% more power requires so much more cooling has not been explained to me.

And the strangest thing of all... the 510 XE Deluxe does not get very warm... and the exhaust air is not very warm. Just the fan is loud. I have no doubt a better fan subsystem for the 510 XE would quiet the thing down tremendously.

One last thing. The 510 XE is 70% efficient while the Silencers are 74% efficient. So the Silencers will produce somewhat less heat. The efficiency of either model does not impress compared to the 80%+ we are seeing from other makers.