Silencer <> Tornado?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

maxxy

Silencer <> Tornado?

Post by maxxy » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:45 pm

Was wondering what the main difference between the seasonic tornada and silencer was. I mean, I thought that a 120mm fan was better than just one 80mm? And the silencer also has a very restricted intake. What am I missing? Please shed some light on the subject :)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:22 pm

The 120mm Fan IS the difference. It draws air from the bottom rather than the other side.

The advantage is that it's quieter.
The disadvantage is that by design, it will draw air heated by the rest of the computer. This can potentially make it heat up and spin faster (and thus, louder).

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:00 pm

maxxy, you also want to take the layout or design of your setup into consideration.

In my sonata it seemed resonable that the silencer would be a better choice for the reasons that sthayashi pointed out. The Sonata has those holes in the side panels which would feed the PS better than pulling hot air off the cpu.
Also I didnt want to create any turbulence in the airflow between the rear case fan and the PS fan thus creating more noise.
Just some thoughts to consider.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:55 am

Pigpen wrote:maxxy, you also want to take the layout or design of your setup into consideration.

In my sonata it seemed resonable that the silencer would be a better choice for the reasons that sthayashi pointed out. The Sonata has those holes in the side panels which would feed the PS better than pulling hot air off the cpu.
Also I didnt want to create any turbulence in the airflow between the rear case fan and the PS fan thus creating more noise.
Just some thoughts to consider.
If your Sonata didn't have the holes on the side panel would you still stick with the Silencer?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:28 pm

Yes, because then I would build a PSU duct:
Lilla's - Building a PSU intake duct-vent.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:32 pm

Tibors wrote:Yes, because then I would build a PSU duct:
Lilla's - Building a PSU intake duct-vent.
Thanks for the link.

IF you were to have all your drive bays occupied what else can you do besides the intake duct-vent?

I am slowly trying to plan out components for my new case and I'm not too sure which PSU I should be going for.

I do want to have my dvd-rom and cd burner on the top two bays which would make it impossible for me to create a PSU intake duct vent.

At the same time right below the PSU will be a hard drive in a silencing enclosure and there will also be a 120mm rear exhaust fan.

Any ideas?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:42 am

There is a thread somewhere on the forums where someone drilled holes in the right sidepanel and ducted these to his PSU.

There is also the option to don't duct at all. ;)

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:50 am

I've never used a 120mm PSU yet. But my thinking is that a 120mm PSU will eventually end up helping cool the rest of the system. Since PSUs are somewhat difficult to silence without endangering the components inside, I prefer that it just cool itself.

When you're talking about a Nexus Breeze case, that's a wholly different matter though.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:13 am

Haha I don't think I want to put holes on my new case side panel. :D

If I don't duct at all what airflow would the PSU get?

Yes if I use a 120mm PSU it would probably suck up some hot air from the case but that would also make the fan ramp up if it gets hot enough and that would = more noise.

I thought about it all night and wondering if it would be safe to use the Tornado and actually flip the fan in the PSU? The PSU would suck in cool air from the outside and blow the air down towards the hard drive and then the 120mm exhaust fan would exhaust all of that warm air out.
Would that work?

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:03 pm

Technically, it would work... But why? You'd be blowing hot air DIRECTLY onto your HSF which would make that speed up faster, and if your 120mm exhaust is thermally controlled, then that would speed faster as well.

I really can't see that as a good idea. Basically, Higher Case temperature, Louder Computer.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:26 pm

ONEshot wrote:Technically, it would work... But why? You'd be blowing hot air DIRECTLY onto your HSF which would make that speed up faster, and if your 120mm exhaust is thermally controlled, then that would speed faster as well.

I really can't see that as a good idea. Basically, Higher Case temperature, Louder Computer.
No it's not the regular case. The case I'm currently working on is the Silverstone Temjin 06 Case.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-tj06.htm

If you can imagine, the hard drive cage will be removed and a 120mm fan will be added right below the PSU. I will eventually be adding some sort of muffler to the 120mm exhaust fan outside of the case to direct the hot air towards the floor/away from the PSU.