Best way to get Seasonic rev3 in Finland, Europe?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

lm
Friend of SPCR

Best way to get Seasonic rev3 in Finland, Europe?

Post by lm » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:27 am

Seasonic Super Silencers / Tornados, especially revision 3, seem to be really hard to find in Europe. And after browsing and searching the forums for some time I'm quite unclear about what is the best way to get such a psu here.

So people who got rev3 seasonics in Europe, where did you buy them? And how much was the total cost after shipping, taxes etc?

I really don't want to get a rev2 accidentally when ordering a rev3, like happened to someone else on this forum.

Antec phantom is soon available here for 170e, but since both my systems are not really power hungry, below 100W and 50W DC, the phantom does not feel like a good choise, since it has average efficiency on low power load. And since i need 2, getting 2 phantoms would be a bit too expensive.

Could we somehow convince Seasonic that they should push their products more actively on the European market...

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:33 pm

I know two places in Sweden/Denmark, maybe they ship to Finland.

www.shg.biz / www.shg.dk got the 300 W Tornado for 388 SEK. (CHEAP!!!)

www.jmedata.se got the same for 499 SEK.

Lycka till!

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:49 pm

Mats wrote:I know two places in Sweden/Denmark, maybe they ship to Finland.

www.shg.biz / www.shg.dk got the 300 W Tornado for 388 SEK. (CHEAP!!!)

www.jmedata.se got the same for 499 SEK.

Lycka till!

Are you sure they sell the rev.A3? In this thread nbac wrote s/he bought a Super Tornado 400W from www.shg.biz, they said it was a rev.A3 but when it arrived it turned out to be a rev.A2. So maybe the same holds true for the 300W?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:14 pm

How about buying rev.A2's and mod them so the fans spins at a fixed low voltage? Should be safe if you never use more than 100W.

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:43 pm

Tephras wrote:Are you sure they sell the rev.A3? In this thread nbac wrote s/he bought a Super Tornado 400W from www.shg.biz, they said it was a rev.A3 but when it arrived it turned out to be a rev.A2. So maybe the same holds true for the 300W?
No, I'm not sure, and certainly not after reading about nbac! I don't know anything about the revisions, finding any Seasonic here is hard enough.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:37 pm

Import from the US.
It's the only way to get an A3, they are US products only.

Check this thread.

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:03 pm

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:20 pm

There is no information if it's rev.A3 or not. Do you know if it is?

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:25 pm

ask them, not me

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:28 pm

Am I invisible or something?

a) It's available in the US only - if any shops outside of the US are selling it they're either not telling the truth or have imported it themselves.

b) Tephras, I linked to that thread for a reason. The answer to your question is in there, but as you couldn't be bothered to click the link I can't be bothered to tell you what it is! Go look! Or (shock horror) use the search...

If I appear to be unduly harsh then sorry, but it really annoys me when people have been shown where the information is but carry on regardless - especially as in this case I've already DONE all the groundwork of emailing several stores, including Kool'n'Quiet, and posted the replys in the thread.
Now if I can go to all that effort to provide the info, don't expect me to repeat it in each seperate thread! Grrr!

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:16 pm

"Not available in this country / continent"
is a pretty standard answer when a retailer is trying to shift old stock.
"it is available from our competitors, but we do not have any"
would be a most unusual thing for them to say, but quite often the later is true, not the former

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:29 pm

meglamaniac wrote:Am I invisible or something?

a) It's available in the US only - if any shops outside of the US are selling it they're either not telling the truth or have imported it themselves.

b) Tephras, I linked to that thread for a reason. The answer to your question is in there, but as you couldn't be bothered to click the link I can't be bothered to tell you what it is! Go look! Or (shock horror) use the search...

If I appear to be unduly harsh then sorry, but it really annoys me when people have been shown where the information is but carry on regardless - especially as in this case I've already DONE all the groundwork of emailing several stores, including Kool'n'Quiet, and posted the replys in the thread.
Now if I can go to all that effort to provide the info, don't expect me to repeat it in each seperate thread! Grrr!
Well, I'm sorry my post annoyed you. The threadstarter is looking for a rev.A3 but nothing over at Kool'n'Quiet indicates that their Seasonic PSUs are rev.A3 - my post was rhetorical, maybe I should have expressed myself otherwise so that it was more evident.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:15 pm

efcoins wrote:"Not available in this country / continent"
is a pretty standard answer when a retailer is trying to shift old stock.
"it is available from our competitors, but we do not have any"
would be a most unusual thing for them to say, but quite often the later is true, not the former
Which is why I asked 3 different stores, including Kustom PCs. I don't know if you've had any dealings with KPC, but they are a small store run by a few people and have a very good reputation for customer service - if Graeme says he can't get something, it's because he can't get it.

wyldwynd

Post by wyldwynd » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:15 pm

As Mega notes, read the other thread - I've just updated it. I just imported one from Silicon Acoustics. Wasn't too bad since the dollar is so weak.

Still, not sure a Rev 3 is SO much better than a 2? -- weren't only about 2% of Rev 2's affected by the fan problem?

Also mine seems to thwum a bit - any ideas how one stops/mitigates coil hum?

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:43 am

As far as I've read here, it depends on components in the system more than anything.
Try swapping your harddrives to different leads maybe?

nbac
Patron of SPCR

Post by nbac » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:19 am

I have asked jmedata, shg.biz and koolnquiet more then once.
And either I got no answer or the answer was A2. Actually shg.biz
told me the last time it was A3, but that proved to be wrong.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:44 pm

Weird, some guy listed 2 stores in Finland that sell those seasonics, now that message has disappeared or i'm just blind. Luckily i got them bookmarked already. Does the site bug or did he just delete his message?

piecrust

Post by piecrust » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:15 pm

I asked the man at Kool'n'quiet whether the seasonic he sold was rev a3 or a2.

He said this was the most popular question he was asked abut this psu.

He said they are a2 as the a3 version is only for the USA.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:50 pm

lm wrote:Weird, some guy listed 2 stores in Finland that sell those seasonics, now that message has disappeared or i'm just blind. Luckily i got them bookmarked already. Does the site bug or did he just delete his message?
Post 'em back... I've seen some SeaSonics being sold, but not the Silencer/Tornado series.

Jan

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:45 pm

They were shop.websales.fi and www.atk-verkkokauppa.com

The first one sucks, it only says 300W seasonic with 12cm fan, and when i emailed them and asked which model it really is, they didn't answer.

The latter one sells the SS-300FT, and i emailed them asking the revision number, and they told it's A2. Afaik 300FT is the oem version of the tornado, which lacks the cable management kit and has shorter cables and stuff like that.

What i'm really interested in is whether this oem model has the same efficiency than the retail version, since it has all these shorter cables etc stuff that shows its not the typical difference between oem and retail version, ie. missing all extra stuff, but even the product is modified, so i am scared that it would be inferior product.

Also would be nice to know if this A2 revision has the improved efficiency of revision 3 versus revision 1, or only part of it, or what...

Basically i just want the most efficient psu on 100W DC load, since i can just fanswap it to make it quiet, but the efficiency rules how quiet it can be.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:07 am

I've seen Websales before, but the other link was new. Thanks!

I don't know how often SeaSonic updates their pages, but the FIMKO declaration has been on "pending" status for like half a year now for the Silencer/Tornado. Maybe this is a part of the cause why we don't see much of SeaSonic stuff here in Finland?

Cheers,

Jan

sprout

Seasonics in Finland

Post by sprout » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:30 pm

I live in Oulu and I bought a SS300FS from ATK about a year ago for about 30Euros, put in a better fan and improved the air flow and it's been fine since.

The Websales website is usually up-to-date, and the people are very knowlegeable. I've been meaning to go in and check which revision their Seasonics are though, so if I do I'll let everybody know.

-Mark.