Seasonic SS-300GS

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

p5

Seasonic SS-300GS

Post by p5 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:40 am

Anyone own or seen one of these before?

I just won one on an ebay auction, i know it has Active PFC and offers the same power specs as the SS-300FS (thanks to dodgy polish translations).

Google returns very little results, I just hope it has a p4 connector and s2fc fan control ;/

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:55 am

The F-key and the G-key are right next to each other on the US-International keyboard layout. So maybe it is just a typo. Because they don't exist on the Seasonic website.

p5

Post by p5 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:10 am

Well it arrived today and I just fitted it, turns out it is actually an SS-300GS.

Here's a pic of the label:

My pc is a lot quieter now at idling (modded 120mm evercool at 5v on an fsp300 before), I think it does have the seasonic s2fc fan control, I know for sure the fan is made by ADDA looking through the stamped grill.

Seems like it is the same as the FS but with less molex connectors (this has 5 4pin molex connectors and 1fdd connector), the casing is identical and the grill intakes above the cpu and at the rear of the psu (towards optical drives).

My power meter now records less power used,
Idling in windows with C&Q on is 93 watts (was ~104 with fortron)
Idling in windows with C&Q off is 100 watts (was ~110 with fortron)
Full load benchmarking 3dmark2k3 peaked 168watts (peaked 180 with fortron)

So an improvement in efficiency here, would be even better with a Super tornado/silencer and probably the new S12.

It's a lot quieter at stock than my modded fsp300 too, and that's with default ADDA fan, no psu fresh air duct, no removing of stamped rear grill and no turning 90 degree intake grills. All easy mods to further cool and quieten this fairly old psu.

The active pfc has also made the psu free of that coil whine that passive pfc power supplies(entire nexus range and most of fortron's range including their new blue storm line) suffer from.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:45 am

p5 wrote:Well it arrived today and I just fitted it, turns out it is actually an SS-300GS.

Here's a pic of the label:
[img]http://tsk.fragmania.net/SS-300GS.jpg[ /img]
Well, well, well. It's a rev "B3". Wonder what they changed?

medley

Post by medley » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:38 am

I just got one of these of e-bay too, but I'm a bit dissapointed. As soon as it's plugged in it starts to whine, I'm guessing at about 8kHz or so. There's a very very quiet tapping noise too. When the power is pulled out of the mains it winds down in a chromatic scale for about 5 notes then finally goes dead. Obviously this is not paticularily good, so I pryed her open to check that it wasn't simply the fan (the only thing I know I could replace with ease) but unplugging it made no difference.

I've tried the PSU with different kettle leads on different sockets but it's still the same. Is this fixable at all? I'm thinking not, but it's a shame because it's still a lot quiter then the vaccum cleaner I had before.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:27 am

Can you work out where the noise is coming from? My one whines faintly (you have to be next to the PSU to hear) but there is no tapping sound.

medley

Post by medley » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:41 pm

It's quite hard to tell exactly where this whining is coming from, but I'd place my bets on a solo performance from the yellow topped coil on the far right. This one feels a little loose whilst the other one is nice and immobile.

I'm all up for taking the thing to bits but I have no idea how I can fix the coil. The level of noise is unbearable - it's still audible through Smashing Pumpkins so it's going to have to go.

The tapping was just a little vibration from where I was resting the thing before - it's gone now.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:25 pm

Search the forums for 'coil whine', there are a number of ways of finding which component is the problem and fixing it.