New PSU and powerfluctuation protection

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Callous

New PSU and powerfluctuation protection

Post by Callous » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:54 pm

Do modern PSU's like the enermax noisetaker (non-active) series have *any* form surge protection, or protection from fluctuations in the powerliines coming into the PSU?

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:46 pm

Yes.

Callous

Post by Callous » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:33 am

Hrm anyone want to expand on this?

davide_casarin

embarassing hole in spcr psu reviews

Post by davide_casarin » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:03 pm

that's interesting: in all of the reviews they have a good time in testing the max rated currents and the temperatures, and nobody ever cares to ceck out what happens when the AC supplied is bad, wich is much more important !
How many people use the max power for 10+ minutes ? and how many have an instable electric service, brownouts, blackouts, or a lightning hitting the lines ? Everybody near here, a year or the other, got their tv fried. Or we like to live knowing that antime our 200+ dollars psu can take a shok and die together with the new pc ?

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:34 pm

Even the best PSU can fail, and that's why I always use a UPS for extra protection...

davide_casarin

Post by davide_casarin » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:49 pm

Me too, after bad experiences with small toys I got me a 1250VA, added 2 200Ah truck auxiliary batteries and can run for hours, but I know many people out there have 1000's $ equipment and data without even a surge protected power strip !
I just read that Mike has bankrupted the site to buy a new variable AC supply to feed badly the PSU and see what happens: was about time !
It can not simulate a high voltage shock tough... anyway, lets keep our eyes on the homepage until the first psu gets reviewed with the latest hw

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:45 pm

They have some surge protection in the form of the AC line filter (primarily for preventing the computer & PSU from interfering with radio & TV), consisting of a couple of coils and boxy plastic capacitors, either on the main circuit board or a small board or sealed metal container on the power cord receptacle. Some PSUs also have a couple of small MOVs next to the big filter capacitors that look like disk capacitors.

PSUs are supposed to be pretty good at handling AC line fluctuations.