Coil noise from new PSU, HELP!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Operandi

Coil noise from new PSU, HELP!

Post by Operandi » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:30 pm

I just bought a PCP&C Silencer which is Seasonic based. It's great PSU but I'm getting some annoying coil whine. I've done a bit of research and it seems certain components give particular PSU's problems, particularly Radeon's. That would make sense since if I put my 9500 Pro under load the pitch of the whine changes.

I'm currently contemplating what to do.... The PSU has been up for about 48 hours. I'm not sure if I'm getting used it or if it's getting quieter, either way it's still there; is there a chance it will go away?

I've heard you can silence the coil using silicone or wax, but I haven't done any work inside my PSU and I'm not sure what the chances of success are. I could also replace the 9500 Pro if that really is the culprit. Or lastly I could send the PSU back, for the same unit or something completely different.

Advice?

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:56 pm

Considering you have had the PSU for such a short time, RMA it. That's what I would have done. No use in trying to fix it if you have a good chance of getting a new one.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:04 pm

Well the issue may not be fixed with a replacement from Seasonic (of same model). I'd suggest just staying with it or trying to fix it, but I would only open up your PSU if you're sure that it's in great working order (you'll void your RMA the moment you open up your PSU).

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:21 pm

I already opened it to compare the internals to the Seasonic from which this one is based. There was no "void warranty" sticker to prevent me from opening it so I just did it for fun. I assume this is how PCP&C PSU's come.

If it's possible to silence the coil myself without dieing I'm willing to try it but I need some advice and pointers. I'd prefer not to die and/or ruin my new PSU. :shock:

Also dose anyone know anything about Radeons and them potentially causing issues like this?

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:52 pm

Search "PSU coil whine" in these forums and you'll find users with practically every brand of PSU getting coil whine. Its a combination of your hardware and PSU that does this (particularly it seems passive PFC models). One guy poured wax over the coil (dont try this). Coils in some PSUs come with tight rubber (almost like heatshrink) enclosing the coils to prevent whine. Others use electricians goop. You can use acid free RTV silicone as well. Layer a thin layer over the offending coils will fix it. I'd rather switch components though.

Hope this helps.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:10 am

O,

There was one guy on the forum with a similar problem. He thought it was the graphics card at first but I believe it turned out to be a coil on the motherboard. I would really try to find that post, because it could take a long time to track this problem down. - FG

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:13 am

frankgehry wrote:O,

There was one guy on the forum with a similar problem. He thought it was the graphics card at first but I believe it turned out to be a coil on the motherboard. I would really try to find that post, because it could take a long time to track this problem down. - FG
The coil whine is defiantly coming from the PSU; if I put my hand over the exhaust it's nearly completely eliminated. Besides it wasn't present with my old PSU, 380 watt Tagan. If I put my 9500 Pro under load (any 3d app) the pitch of the whine changes, loading the CPU dose nothing, so I assume it’s a combination of this PSU and ATi Radeons. The PSU has APFC and is based on the Seasonic Super Silencer, Link below.

tay I found your thread regarding your Forton PSU so I think I have a pretty good idea of what to buy and how to do it. I'd like to know that it's going to work however; this PSU wasn’t exactly cheap. Did you have any success with your Forton?, any tips you could provide would be appreciated.

PCP&C Silencer 360 ATX http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=51

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:18 pm

You may have been referring to me. I had coil whine that I thought was from the graphics card as it was only present during gaming. I eventually tracked the problem to the mobo and RMA'ed it.

An RMA is the best option if it is open to you. It is possible that this will not solve your problem. Sometimes certain components will never get on well together. My view is that a PSU should be able to supply power to any standard component without any problems (load allowing). If its the PSU that is whining, then I would ask for that component to be changed.

If you are planning on upgrading your GPU, now would be the time to do it. If that solves the problem, then you issue is over :) After all, if you RMA the PSU, get your machine quiet, then buy a new Gfx card, the problem could return as the components are now different!!!

My luck with computers is poor, if it can go wrong it normally does for me. Just search for posts started by myself :)

frankgehry

Thanks luminous

Post by frankgehry » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:55 pm

Cheer up luminous - I think you showed a lot of determination in systematically tracking the problem down. I hope your computer is working better now.

Anyway, this is the case I was thinking of. I guess you can look at it as a problem with your psu, but it could also be a defective or loose coil on the motherboard or the graphics card or both that's causing the psu to whine. - FG

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:49 pm

I agree with luminous about RMA'ing or changing components if you can. I never did fix mine because my MB died a few weeks later and the problem was gone when I upgraded (I managed to kill the cpu while trying to resuscitate the shitty MB but thats another story). With my newer MB/CPU the whine never did come back.

If you cant return/RMA and you want to keep the PSU maybe you can run some tests to find the exact source :
- unplug the HDD and boot.
- use an old video card.

If it still whines when you do the above two its the MB causing it and you can try and ebay it or w/e. This is why I still keep around a PCI gfx card and old components (that I dont manage to kill). Good for troubleshooting.

The silicone or electricians goop should be safe if changing components is not an option.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:02 pm

I think I'm going to contact PCP&C tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Regarding the use of silicone, has anyone had any success with the procedure? Just incase I do decide to try it.

I'll update after I talk with sombody at PCP&C.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:56 pm

Well I talked to PCP&C support, they are going to send out a new PSU today and I'll be RMAing the old one back. Hopefully the new one won't exhibit the same problems.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:16 pm

Fantastic news. You have a good supplier there, I was expecting you to say that they were not prepared to do anything...

Hope the new one sorts you out.

I'm still battling away with my mobo - my replacement board has now started to develop the problem. Its time for that hot glue or a different make. There is no way I'm waiting on a fourth board. 13 weeks turnaround, and they have to have your board first.......arses...don't buy Asus.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:36 am

luminous wrote:Fantastic news. You have a good supplier there, I was expecting you to say that they were not prepared to do anything...

Hope the new one sorts you out.

I'm still battling away with my mobo - my replacement board has now started to develop the problem. Its time for that hot glue or a different make. There is no way I'm waiting on a fourth board. 13 weeks turnaround, and they have to have your board first.......arses...don't buy Asus.
Yeah, hopefully. I have an odd feeling the new one is going to do the same thing though.... I hope I'm wrong.

I'll post back when I have something to update, good luck with your motherboard.

ZenmasteR

Post by ZenmasteR » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:20 am

i have been getting coil whine for nearly 2 years with 4 different psus (enermax and antec)

also got the whine from a Apple G5 i bought when they had their issues,

i think its by design and occurs on cpu load, side effect of PFC probably

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:51 pm

I just received the new unit from PCP&C yesterday and it's installed.

There is some very slight whine, but there either has to absolutely no ambient noise or you have to be right next the PSU in low noise to hear it so I'm happy.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:12 am

Yeah :D :D Great news, hope you can enjoy your machien now :)