Flex ATX PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Gargamel

Flex ATX PSU

Post by Gargamel » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:53 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a quiet flex atx psu? I would love something that uses an 80mm fan instead of the tiny 60mm or 40mm types. I'm building a small netvista system and had concerns about the psu that comes with the cases on e-bay. Is there a good store int he US that I can get flex atx psu's from? I would really like a seasonic but I can't find anywhere that sells them.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:26 pm

You could try Newegg.com. I did a quick search and came up with this. Fortron makes really good PSUs (they're OEM for many companies ie. Nexus, Seasonic, sparkle, etc.)
Just search for MicroATX or MiniATX.

Gargamel

Post by Gargamel » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:59 pm

Mr_Smartepants wrote: Just search for MicroATX or MiniATX.
So an micro or mini atx psu will fit? I guess I had the impression that the power supply had to be labeled flex atx to fit.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:11 pm

Well, it should fit, but of course YMMV. It all depends on the case. Just take your old PSU and eyeball it (and the MB connector) and go shopping on Newegg, Directron (or Pricewatch) and look at the pictures.

Or you could try to get a small quiet fan from Dorothy and mod your PSU yourself.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.br ... anaflo.htm