Phantom Reboots

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

EdT

Phantom Reboots

Post by EdT » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:31 pm

After 3 weeks of use with my Antec Phantom 350 I seem to be getting occasional reboots due to the PSU(I don't see anything else like the lights or monitor flickering) is the Phantom more senstive to power fluctuations than regular active cooled PSUs ? anybody have similar incidencies ?

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:14 pm

Never experienced this with my Phantom... Do you have a UPS? If not, this should be helpful if you have power fluctuations...

NeilBlanchard

...not with that PS...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:23 am

Hello:

I have had a Fortron Source PS that would reboot whenever I used a microwave oven on the same power circuit -- even when it was on a UPS! I put a Seasonic in there, and the problem went away. It is also possible that a better/newer UPS would have don the trick, and it is also possible that a different unit of the same model Fortron PS would *not* have the same problem...

IHTH

EdT

Post by EdT » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:09 pm

Slaugh wrote:Never experienced this with my Phantom... Do you have a UPS? If not, this should be helpful if you have power fluctuations...
Hey where did you get your Phantom ? I thought I was thee only one in Montreal to have it ! the guy at the store MegaPC for $195cdn, they even ordered another one for their display and took a pic of me with the Phantom as I was the first to buy one from them.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:25 pm

Edt wrote:Hey where did you get your Phantom ? I thought I was thee only one in Montreal to have it ! the guy at the store MegaPC for $195cdn, they even ordered another one for their display and took a pic of me with the Phantom as I was the first to buy one from them.
I ordered mine online at FrontierPC, a Vancouver store...

EdT

Post by EdT » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:06 pm

I think I will have to RMA my Phantom back to Antec soon. It is getting worse and worse from occasional random reboots to frequent power shut downs. I have to flick the power switch on the back of the PSU several times to be able to get it to power up again ....dam weird

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:09 am

You do have to have an exhaust fan in the case.

I experienced a couple of reboots yesterday while gaming. I opened the case after the third reboot and saw that the 120mm exhaust fan wasn't spinning -- I had forgotten to connect it again after adjusting some cables.

Hooking the exhaust fan back up solved my problems...

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:05 am

Mmmm, I've just had a phantom faliure, it's starting to look like the phantom is the passive psu that requires some airflow to work, doh!

If you haven't already could you please log in and add your mark to this poll about phantom troubles which MikeC setup:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18825
Many many thanks :)

EdT

Post by EdT » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:52 pm

Pjotor wrote:You do have to have an exhaust fan in the case.

I experienced a couple of reboots yesterday while gaming. I opened the case after the third reboot and saw that the 120mm exhaust fan wasn't spinning -- I had forgotten to connect it again after adjusting some cables.

Hooking the exhaust fan back up solved my problems...
Yes, I have 2 intake fans spinning at @1600rpm in the front and 1 exhaust in the back spinning at @1800rpm. This could be the problem, does the Phantom have auto shut down circuitry to power down at a certain temp ? Please provide written proof from Antec if you have the link.

EdT

Post by EdT » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:20 pm

Ok, I found the answer to my question in their online user manual:

3.6 OVER TEMPERATURE
The power supply includes an over-temperature protection sensor, which can
trip and shutdown the power supply at 110°C. Such an overheated condition is
typically the result of internal current overloading or a cooling fan failure.

I don't think my system went anywhere near 110C though !

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:36 pm

EdT wrote:Ok, I found the answer to my question in their online user manual:

3.6 OVER TEMPERATURE

Perhaps not the system -- but maybe the power supply... The temp probe sits somewhere inside the PSU, where 110 degrees C is not inconceivable.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:00 am

:shock:

That's one smokin' PSU...

EdT

Post by EdT » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:43 pm

Pjotor wrote:
EdT wrote:Ok, I found the answer to my question in their online user manual:

3.6 OVER TEMPERATURE

Perhaps not the system -- but maybe the power supply... The temp probe sits somewhere inside the PSU, where 110 degrees C is not inconceivable.
Yup I'am 100% sure its the PSU, you know why ? because the POS is now dead altogether and trying to get Antec to issue a RMA is like trying to sell them back a product they never even admit they had, tried for 3 days trying to get through their RMA Dept., what a kind a stupid company does not have a electronically fillable RMA request form, instead its a pdf form that you have to write in and "FAX" back ? I was skeptical this time to buy another Antec product, I should of went with a Seasonic. The darn thing went kaput in less than 4 weeks and started to act up in its second week. Yup, Yup its fanless ...yeah its also powerless too !