Leaking capacitors in Antec TP380S

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Leaking capacitors in Antec TP380S

Post by Aleksi » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:14 am

EDIT AND UPDATE: PLEASE READ

Hi guys

Below you can see my original post I made. In short, I was complaining about leaking caps in my Truepower 380S. Some time after posting that here, I was contacted by AntecRep. They wanted know, if I still had the PSU and expressed their concern, as this is not normal for a relatively new PSU. We agreed, that I'd take pictures inside the PSU and sent them over to them. My pictures were examined within a few days.

I was informed, that the my leaking caps were in fact "goop", glue that is used to secure the caps and coils. Now, before you think "what a moron... :oops: " I have to say in my defense, that I've seen leaking caps and goop before. But what I didn't know was, that apparently the glue can change appearance when it's exposed to normal use and there for to heat. In my case some of the goop was white and some was brown, so the appearance of some of the PSU components was very much the same as of real leaking caps. But in my case, the power supply was perfectly OK.

I want to thank the Antec employees that I dealt with for the excellent and very friendly customer service I got. I was really surprised I was contacted in the first place and after reading the Phantom thread, this kind of A++ service is not apparently rare from them. I think me correcting my post and expressing my apologies for my "bashing" is the least I can do.

Sincerely,
Aleksi

Hi guys

I was about to do a fan swap (Panaflo 80M1A) to my Truepower 380S, that came with my Sonata. I opened it up and also decided to have a look around the PSU. To my surprise, there were 4-5 capacitors leaking and swollen badly. The strange thing is, I bought the Sonata last summer, so I've had the PSU for 7 months and I only used it for the first 3-4 months. The PSU is the newer model with the honeycomb back.

I've broken the warranty seal, so I can't send it back anymore. That's not a problem really, because I can get all necessary replacement parts for free from/through my work. To be honest, I really don't want another Antec PSU as a replacement. I've heard that people have had problems with some of the truepowers, but this is just crappy quality from Antec! During the months I used the PSU, I run a perfectly "normal" case setup with noisy cooling :lol: So this could have not happened because of high intake air temperatures. Every company, whatever product they make, have faulty products shipped to people. But speaking from experience, these kind of capacitor problems are usually caused by

a) overvoltage or a power surge, spikes coming from the AC line
b) bad quality capacitor

Somehow I tend to go for the b) option here... But to make sense in this rant, has anyone else had similar problems with the Truepower? I can replace the bad caps, but I'm planning to take it in use in my HTPC, but then I would be worrying when some of the other capacitors start acting funny. And to be honest, I really don't want the swap all the caps, that's not the point of buying a brand new PSU.

And just make it clear, NO! I don't work for any of Antec's competitors! :wink:
Last edited by Aleksi on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:59 am

I had a problem with my TP380S (original Sonata revision) where the voltage rails wouldn't stabilize within tolerances (verified with voltmeter). WinXP would randomly quit/error as well. I tried several times to arrange an RMA through Antec's website AND the Antec Rep in these forums but to no avail. I eventually sold it for $20 and bought the tried and true Fortron (in my sig) and it's been beautiful! I never opened up my TP380S but it wouldn't surprise me if the Caps were going bad. It sure would explain a lot.

serg

Post by serg » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:29 pm

Aleksi: what about manufacturer of capasitors?

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:34 pm

A friend of mine recently found a bulging capacitor in his TruePower 330W or 380W, and several months ago I found two of them in my old 300W SmartPower. In both cases the brand of capacitor was Fuhjyyu.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:04 pm

serg wrote:Aleksi: what about manufacturer of capasitors?
If I remember correctly, mine was Fuhjyyu too. I have to check when I get home.

Serge, two years on the forum and now you post your first post? :wink:

I guess I can do the

WELCOME TO SPCR!!

Oklahoma Wolf

Re: Leaking capacitors in Antec TP380S

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:44 am

Aleksi wrote:But speaking from experience, these kind of capacitor problems are usually caused by

a) overvoltage or a power surge, spikes coming from the AC line
b) bad quality capacitor

Somehow I tend to go for the b) option here...
That'll be it... the OEM (CWT) got a batch of them with bad electrolyte a while back and I guess decided to use them all up instead of replacing them. This is more or less an educated guess on my part as a technician based on the number of units I've seen fail due to the caps, and I've seen many of them turn up with this problem.

What I do know is that with good caps in them, CWT designs usually hold up very well for years. I have two of them (420w - 3 caps gone and 375w - 1 cap gone) to redo, and will probably get to them at some point, but in your case with 5 bad ones I would just replace the PSU.

The 420w I plan on fixing was my main rig's PSU - I pulled it before it could do any damage but was still working pretty well. I replaced it with a Fortron 530w... as soon as I fix the CWT it will become an emergency spare PSU. The Fortron's too good to take out of the main rig ;)

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:38 am

Hopefully at least some of you have tried contacting our customer support. The more we know the better.

[email protected]
[email protected]
1-800-222-6832 (North America)
+31 (0) 10 462 2060 (Europe)

If something is seriously wrong we need the bad units back so we can find the problem, get it fixed or find out why it's happening etc.

AntecRep

x1m

Post by x1m » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:48 am

How Ironic, my 380s just died after 9 months. I don't want to particularly open it up though, as I'd quite like to RMA it. Any symptoms you noticed before it happened?

Oklahoma Wolf

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:59 pm

AntecRep wrote:If something is seriously wrong we need the bad units back so we can find the problem, get it fixed or find out why it's happening etc.
Hopefully this will mean a large company putting pressure on CWT to buy new caps for their future designs ;)

I haven't contacted Antec myself, as the only actual Antec I have, an older SL350, has no bad caps in it. The ones I was speaking of are from Channel Well themselves (420w) and Sunny Technologies (375w). These were purchased by myself and a friend within 6 months of each other. A year into operation, the 420w lost its fan and overheated. I replaced the fan and ran it another year before noticing the 3 caps were going bad. I am quite certain heat was a factor in this case. The 375w only has one bad cap - still running fine.

Those Fuhjyyu caps haven't always been bad... just had a 10 year old CWT 235w open a few hours ago to add another fan. Caps are all Fuhjyyu and are all fine.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:53 am

AntecRep wrote:Hopefully at least some of you have tried contacting our customer support. The more we know the better.
I did, several times. :cry: That wasn't very helpful.
With the only reply being similar to "Check the lines with a voltmeter, if they're within xyz then the PSU is good." The voltage checks I did with a DIGITAL multimeter looked OK but when checked with an ANALOG voltmeter, the lines showed both sags and spikes. Antec Support never did issue me an RMA so I sold-off my TP-380S to the first available buyer (his PSU actually/literally fried and he was desperate).
Because of the poor support I received from Antec, I probably will not purchase another Antec PSU until the bugs are worked out of the Phantom series.
Now I don't want to start a flame-war and I don't mean to bad-mouth Antec products or support. I'm sure that some of our viewers are using Antec PSUs and they are very happy with them. I was not. That is my opinion. YMMV.

I'm starting to follow one of my mottos: Never buy version 1.0 of ANYTHING. :lol:

serg

Post by serg » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:22 am

i think not all Fuhjyyus are bad, they are used in FSP (Aopen) and Zalman power supplies, and i never yet had seen any leaked caps in these. Maybe there is some problems with newer series of Fuhjyyus. I have two diffent Antec power supplies, 300w (used about 10 hours every day, sometimes 24) and 350w (usually on 24/7), both are SmartPowers, so now i will check them periodically for any problems with caps, but i think i'll just sold both. It is not easy to get good caps with low esr...

Aleksi: thanks ;) usually i'm just reading this forum, but i registered because i had to PM to member of this forum. Btw, do you know any places in Finland where i can get some good caps with low esr? not Fuhjyyus ;)

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:35 am

Hi Serg,

Didn't know you were a finn too :D

I think there are two places to buy them in Finland (outside Elfa/Farnell etc); Partco and Bebek. Bebek has a reputation among the finnish computer enthusiasts as a place selling stock, that has been stored for a long period. Sometimes this has resulted in dry capacitors.

So, the place to buy them is http://www.partco.fi/. The prices for low ESR caps depend on the capacity, ranging from 0.1€ to around 20€. I think you can get caps for around 1€ for the normal PC use. Hope this helps.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 am

haha aleksi, I thought the same a couple of years ago when I first opened a PP-303 antec PSU. Once I opened a few more PSUs I realized it was simply goop. I didnt comment because your comment mentioned swollen capacitors.

Good to see its all worked out.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:00 am

You might want to change the thread title to:
(Not really) Leaking capacitors in Antec TP380S

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:05 am

Tay & Tibors:

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were twisting the knife... :lol:

I actually thought about changing the title, but atleast the other people's messages are valid. :roll:

Mr. Kaze

Post by Mr. Kaze » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:57 am

x1m wrote:How Ironic, my 380s just died after 9 months. I don't want to particularly open it up though, as I'd quite like to RMA it. Any symptoms you noticed before it happened?
PS in my Sonata lasted about two years, but still has the dubious distinction of being the first computer part I've owned to simply up-and-die at me. :cry: Sonata made strange noises (like a toothpick was fighting with the CD-RW, alternately screechy and clacky) on boot and the mouse & keyboard weren't responding. Not knowing what was going on -- it had been playing Dawn of War in a LAN session not 3 hours earlier -- I shut it down for a reboot. Then it starts up with this shrieking-awful flyback whine, the kind that old CRTs give off around 15000 Hz or whatever it is (which is why I'm 99% certain it's the power supply and not something else in the machine -- nothing else is big enough to make that kind of noise). That finally goes quiet, so I boot the machine (by this time, my wife is watching to see what's going wrong with her computer) so it works fine. Until it just shuts itself off after about 2 minutes. Suddenly flummoxed, I tell that thing to power back up. It powers up for 5 seconds -- doesn't even finish booting -- then shuts itself off and stays that way, putting the kibosh what was otherwise a pretty good Sunday evening after a very nice weekend. :x

So now it's time to pray that it didn't take any system components with it and go find a replacement. The Nexus 3500 looks reasonable and cheap, but I'm wondering if I can find something more efficient (or if it's simply gotten more efficient in the past couple of years). The new Seasonics look like they've gotten substantially better since the initial offerings, but Pricegrabber returned very few distributors for them.

Update: Threatening the power supply with another power supply in hand and a reminder that it's under a 3-year warranty (thanks, AntecRep!) seems to have gotten it working again last night. Not sure how -- last I looked, only Windows 98 really responded well to intimidation -- but it got back into powering up for web browsing just fine. (I'm just a programming geek and thus don't have any hardware toys more complex than a screwdriver with which to test it.) Wife is still looking askance at it, but this is progress...

That's where we're at over here...
::Kaze (wonders what horrors the Antec RMA team inflicts on the returned power supplies as a warning to the new units being shipped...)
Last edited by Mr. Kaze on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:28 am

Mr. Kaze: the PSU is still under warranty. Give customer support a call (1-800-222-6832 North America, +31(0)10 462-2060 (europe), or [email protected] or [email protected].

AntecRep