NX-3500

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

StarfishChris

NX-3500

Post by StarfishChris » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:52 pm

I may change my PSU in the near future (using it in another computer; can't justify anything else) and saw the NX-3500 for a good price at Novatech. However, would it be capable of handling the following (potential) system:

A64 3000+ Newcastle (will not be overclocked)
2x hard drive
2x optical
3x memory (probably ~1.5GB)
Matrox G450 (I don't play 3D games on the PC, I have a console :P)
a couple of case fans!

I tend to think it will, since the G450 isn't powerful and I don't intend swapping it, so there shouldn't be a big 12V power draw. In fact, would the NX-3000 (300 watt) handle that system with a bit of room to spare, and has the extra 12V connector? Straight-through PSU ducts are nice and easy in the Sonata :D

EricTerminator

NX-3500

Post by EricTerminator » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:20 pm

Hi !

Don't worry, your new PSU will be quite enough.

Just look at this : http://www.matbe.com/articles/alims/hiperr/page6.php

It's made by a Belgian community which writes in French, so, you might be able to understand most of the article, but what you have to keep in mind is the biggest number of Watts.

That's the peak of consumption of the machine, when you take in account the efficiency of the PSU.

The worst PSU gives us 368W for an overclocked system, and take a look at the specs :
Processeur Intel Pentium 4 560
Carte mère Asus P5AD2 Premium
2x512 Mo de DDR2 Corsair PC-5400 (667 MHz)
Carte graphique Abit X600 XT
2 disques durs Western Digital Raptor 74 Go en RAID
It's a Pentium 4 Platform, with the Prescott core, which has a reputation to be the leader for the waste of energy. :evil:

So, 368W is the consumption when you take into account the efficiency. Let's imagine that the best PSU has an utopic 100% efficiency. In this case, it would mean that the system pumps a maximum of 309W.

Since the number of Watts on the PSU is nearly a guarantee that the system can take this number of Watts, there will be no problem, since the 309W PSU gives less Watts to the system.

And for heaving read tons of articles, I can guarantee you that a 350W PSU is enough for your PC. :wink:

If you can, I although recommand you a 330W or 380W PSU of Tagan ; I discuss of the sound of these PSUs with my mates at www.pcsilencieux.com nearly every day, and they find it wonderful. And something else that is important, the Belgian article that I gave you has compared a few brands of PSUs, including a Tagan ; when you watch the consumptions, you see that the Tagan is very efficient, just a bit behind the passive-cooled PSU Phantom from Antec, which costs too much.

I hoped I was clear enough.

See you

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Starfish:

Read the Stickies at the top of this forum.
Read the review of the NX3500
Read the Power Supply Fundamentals article, specifically the High End A64 system specs on page 3.

And use the Search to see what kind of systems people are already running with their NX3500's.

Your answers are already here, take the time to find them.