Which PSU for MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

zsandman

Which PSU for MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum?

Post by zsandman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:10 pm

If you have a MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum Motherboard, please post here which PSU you have. Or if you can suggest one.

I have an Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE, seem to be having some problems with the system but haven't narrowed it down to the PSU yet.

Thanks.

eLekTRiK

Post by eLekTRiK » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:32 pm

I have 4 systems running on MSI K8N Neo4 (non-Platinum) boards on some cheapo Sparkle 300W PSUs with only the 20-pin connector (as opposed to 24-pin). The PSUs are loud, but the systems are for a compute cluster that I administer remotely so I don't have to listen to them anyway. No stability problems.

Grubert

Post by Grubert » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:44 am

Perfect timing for this post - I was about to ask the same thing, as I am researching for my future PC, and the MSI were in my short list.

According to MSI, the K8N Platinum SLI should be used with a PSU that met the following conditions:
MSI Reminds You...
• These two connectors (JPWR1 & JPWR2) connect to the ATX power supply and have to work together to ensure stable operation of the mainboard.
• Power supply of 450 watts (and above) is highly recommeded for system stability.
• For ATX 12V power connection, it should be greater than 18A.
• For this model, you must use the power supply that with a -5V pin supply.

seltrus

Post by seltrus » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:03 pm

Yeah, be sure to note the post above about the -5v line. This is not part of the newest ATX specs, so many new supplies do not have it (the Seasonic S12 and even older Super series). This -5v is used for the onboard SB Live! chip and it will not function without it, however if this is not needed, then any normal PSU can be used.

In my opinion the best way to get a quiet PSU for this board and use all the features is to either fanmod an older PSU or fanmod the OCZ Modstream which has the required -5v and a good fan controller (SPCR reviewed). The included fan is too loud, but it can easily be replaced. Unfortunately this is a pretty expensive proposition which immediately voids the generous three year warranty. As of April 14th, however, Newegg has dropped the price on the 520W Modstream from $120 to $96 which is a pretty nice drop for just a couple of days.

Grubert

Post by Grubert » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:28 pm

I was looking at the BeQuiet BQT P5 line. See manual here and review here.

I guess that'd work, wouldn't it? Is it really necessary to get the 470W (first over 450) or would 420 be enough?