SilenX 450watt PSU vs. Tagan 480watt PSU?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

The Beatsmith

SilenX 450watt PSU vs. Tagan 480watt PSU?

Post by The Beatsmith » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:47 am

Hi there

I have a 380 watt tagan psu and have been very impressed. My bro needs a psu to replace his 'quiet' (read: VERY NOISY) nexus psu. Is the 480watt going to be any noiser than my 380watt?

Also, which is quieter, the silenx or the tagan? I know the db ratings, i was wondering about what people's actual experiences with them were.

Thanks

Eddie

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:06 am

The Tagen 480 never ramped up with my overclocked a64. You have to stick your ear in it to hear it.

The Beatsmith

Post by The Beatsmith » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:10 am

Same here

My 380 is really, really, quiet. I don't see why (i've read) people say the silenx is quieter... how can you get quieter than that! And i'm guessing the silenx shifts less air?

I dunno.

He has a p4 3ghz, 800mhz fsb, 1gb ram, ati 9800 pro 128mb, 1 sata HD, 1 ata HD, a cd burner and a dvd player.... if that makes any difference.

majinbuu

Post by majinbuu » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:26 am

Don't know where you're from, but here in holland tagan psu's are very cheap, and for the silence, effiency and neat cables you get a great deal, but you must have figured that out since you haven one :wink: .
I think Tagan is up there along with Enermax and Seasonic when it comes to effiency and noise, or the silence, just the little problem of some rma cases of tagan that I am hearing lately.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:35 am

There is a reason Tagans are so cheap; they're made by Topower, more of a budget PSU manufacture using cheaper components then what you would find in a Seasonic or Forton.

hightower

Post by hightower » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:39 pm

The fans ran a little bit faster on my 480w tagan compared to my 380w tagan, but not alot.. nothing that should scare you away, and it depends on your setup too. It's a nice and pretty cheap (depending where you're from) PSU. 8)

hightower

Post by hightower » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:46 pm

Operandi: you have no clue what you're talking about :evil: Topower is a good company - they actually make the inside of OCZ psu's. Did you know that? And do you think OCZ is a cheap brand. :roll: They also happen to make Tagan and BeQuiet. I'm not saying OCZ doesn't modify the inside though as I can't be 100% sure on that. However, I think the reason many Tagans have failed, is due to bad case cooling/too slow running fans in the tagan = bad combination.
majinbuu: It depends on what Tagan model we're talking about. I wouldn't say they're up to Seasonic in efficiency- and especially not Enermax in quality, but for money they're good.

majinbuu

Post by majinbuu » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:21 pm

@Hightower, tagan is in the high 70's in efficiency, they may not have the extreme quality like Enermax, but for sound I think they are a real competitor for the top listed psu's here on SPCR, just wish the guys here could test one.

hightower

Post by hightower » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:58 pm

I agree - a while back I wrote to mikec about getting one for a test, but he said they're rare in the US and tagan hadn't contacted him, so he wouldn't bother. I tried to write them but did not get an answer. :?

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:01 pm

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:21 pm

hightower wrote:Operandi: you have no clue what you're talking about :evil: Topower is a good company - they actually make the inside of OCZ psu's. Did you know that? And do you think OCZ is a cheap brand. :roll: They also happen to make Tagan and BeQuiet. I'm not saying OCZ doesn't modify the inside though as I can't be 100% sure on that. However, I think the reason many Tagans have failed, is due to bad case cooling/too slow running fans in the tagan = bad combination.
majinbuu: It depends on what Tagan model we're talking about. I wouldn't say they're up to Seasonic in efficiency- and especially not Enermax in quality, but for money they're good.
Yeah OZC is also made by Topower but so what? Just because OCZ charges a premium price of their PSUs doesn’t make them any better then the rest of the Topower based units. In my opinion OCZ is a rip-off.

Topower is decent, but not in the same category as Forton or Seasonic.

brigitte

Post by brigitte » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:37 pm

I'd stay away from Tagan. My first unit was emitting strange squealing noises even when the PC was off (!) and two people I know personally had their units explode. I sold my second unit, got a Seasonic and never looked back.

hightower

Post by hightower » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:08 am

Well that's your opinion. I doubt you have ever held a OCZ powerstream in your hands. True, you pay too much for the brand. Even though Fortron is OK (Their blue storm isn't exactly impressive - no active pfc or pci-e connector - wow huh) and Seasonic, well their S12 looks nice, it's not for sale in my country and I have no previous experience with them, so I can't judge them, from reviews it looks good but Enermax owns them both. :roll:

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:44 pm

Please keep this thread on topic (i.e. answering the original quesiton: Which is quieter, Tagan or SilenX ... or suggesting a better alternative) and refrain from brand bashing. Of course, if you want to revive one of the past threads about the merits of Topower, be my guest, but please keep it to that thread.