Upgrade to Phantom? Is SS Tornado 3a louder than xp120+nexus

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

madd02

Upgrade to Phantom? Is SS Tornado 3a louder than xp120+nexus

Post by madd02 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:45 pm

I am going to upgrade my system:

getting new case LianLi pc7b plus
3 nexus 120mm
xp120

I have:
sp120 HDD (suspended)
passive 8500 video
passive NB
Seasonic Tornado rev3a 350w

I want to get this thing as quiet as possible so would think i will upgrade to phantom.... have thought about it over last couple of days ....and even though there are quality probs...figured i might take chances...*fingers crossed*. I know about aluminuim problem, and have will have all fans isolated. I am a fan of lianLi...they are easy on the eyes.
Also, the seasonic is currently quietly ticking ...cause > lianLi tr3b fan controller (PWM).

Question:
Will i hear the seasonic over the 3 nexus 120mm fans and my syspended sp120 ?

Just wondering if its worth it upgrading to phantom 350 ?

I havent orderd any parts yet, so cant tell about impact of seasonic on new system. And i have to decide about phantom today as parants heading to sydney for the weekend so can save a heap on delivery.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:21 am

The Tornado 400 Rev 2 (fan doesn't ramp up) is louder than other components in my system. The fan in the psu is a D12SM and runs around 900-970 on startup.

Other fans in my system are

1 x D12SM-12 LED fan around 5v
1 x D12SL-12 around 5v
1 x Panaflo around 5v

Other noise making components one Barracuda 4 and one Barracuda 5.

I used to have a Fortron 350 with Aerocool Turbine fan running around 6v connected to a Fanmate 2 and this was very quiet. At that time the loudest components I think were the hard drives.

Edit: I have the Globalwin aluminium case and the hard drives are suspended. The case fans are mounted with cable ties and Blutack dampen the vibration.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:52 pm

Yes yes go for the Antec Phantom 350. I had the Seasonic Super Tornado 300 and my cousin has the S12, and if you listen carefully there is some ticking noise from the fans. Definately not near-silent, quiet yes, but silent not even close.

The Antec Phantom is dead silent, no fans and no coil buzz. However, if you are aircooling your computer, make sure the passive PSU gets good ventilation (by adding fans which defeats the whole purpose, or having your case open) or by putting the PSU on top of your case, which doesn't look that great. The PSU itself doesn't need any ventilation, but it will heat up your CPU a great deal.

Antec Phantom with watercooling is heaven. =)