Phantom 500 with the Antec P180

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

PPGMD

Phantom 500 with the Antec P180

Post by PPGMD » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:27 pm

I am trying to figure out if a Phantom 500 will have enough cable length for my P180. My motherboards 4 pin connecter is on the top of the board between the CPU and the PS/2 connectors. The 20 pin connector is along the front side of the case near the smaller 5.25" bay.

Would the Phantom 500 have enough cable length to reach both connectors, and enough length to allow better placement for airflow sake, since I am just using the two exhaust fans ATM.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:51 pm

If you have a good case like the P180, I don't see why you shouldn't go for a Phantom 350 instead. A 350 would be much better. The PSU doesn't even get that warm in a good case. The only problem I see is the PSU dumping heat into the CPU if they are close, and in the case of the P180, they are distant. Besides, the 350 and 500 have the same internals and I've seen the 350 pump 500W in a test.

To answer your question: Since a 350 has long cables, easily long enough, I assume a 500 would also have long cables.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:04 pm

Isn't the Phantom 500 more energy efficient? It might be better for him to buy that instead of a Phantom 350 if he is willing to.

PPGMD

Post by PPGMD » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:53 am

I have had trouble with PSU overheating in the past, so I like having the fan to fall back on. With the bottem chamber fan set to low anyways I doubt that it will ever come on.

DGK

Post by DGK » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:39 am

I have the P180 and the Phantom 500. I have just started the build (still waiting for some parts) The Phantom 500 will not fit with the stock lower fan. I removed the stock fan and holder, installed the 500, then installed a much thinner Nexus 120 fan in the lower fan slot. It took me a little while to screw the fan in without the fan holder but I was able to do it after a little bit of work. The problem is that the 500 is longer than most of the PSU's out there. You might be able to get the PSU in there with the stock fan but you would have to bend the heck out of the PSU wires otherwise they would hit the fan blades - I didnt even bother to try. I would just recommend using a thinner fan if you plan on getting the 500. If you dont plan on installing fans in the lower part of the case you could just install the fan on the other side of the divider wall but since I plan on using that part of the case for hard drives I just used the thinner fan.

The 4 pin connecter and the 24 pin connector are both long enough to touch the top of the case so they should be long enough depending on how you want to route them. If you want to go behind the motherboard you might need extension cables but I wouldnt buy extension cables until you are sure you need them.

I installed the 500 so the cables are coming out of the PSU at the back of the case and closest to the hole in the bottom of the main part of the case. I am not sure if I installed the PSU upside down or not (I started buying parts over a month ago and the case is sitting in the closet right now)

I hope this helps - I know I rambled a bit but I am getting ready for bed and am kind of tired :)

PPGMD

Post by PPGMD » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:34 am

Thats good to hear. Right now I am using an Ultra X-connect that I got for free (AMD event) because the cables on my Coolmax 400w was too short to reach. I had to remove the lower chamber fan because the larger then normal connecters interferred with the fan. I will have to take a look at how I will be putting the Phantom 500 in it when I order.

I do my upgrades slowly, I already moved my system over, it runs much more quietily, next step is better VGA cooling and the better PSU, followed by a water cooling system for the processor, though I might just do that all at once.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:51 am

DGK wrote:I have the P180 and the Phantom 500. I have just started the build (still waiting for some parts) The Phantom 500 will not fit with the stock lower fan. I removed the stock fan and holder, installed the 500, then installed a much thinner Nexus 120 fan in the lower fan slot. It took me a little while to screw the fan in without the fan holder but I was able to do it after a little bit of work. The problem is that the 500 is longer than most of the PSU's out there. You might be able to get the PSU in there with the stock fan but you would have to bend the heck out of the PSU wires otherwise they would hit the fan blades - I didnt even bother to try. I would just recommend using a thinner fan if you plan on getting the 500. If you dont plan on installing fans in the lower part of the case you could just install the fan on the other side of the divider wall but since I plan on using that part of the case for hard drives I just used the thinner fan.

The 4 pin connecter and the 24 pin connector are both long enough to touch the top of the case so they should be long enough depending on how you want to route them. If you want to go behind the motherboard you might need extension cables but I wouldnt buy extension cables until you are sure you need them.

I installed the 500 so the cables are coming out of the PSU at the back of the case and closest to the hole in the bottom of the main part of the case. I am not sure if I installed the PSU upside down or not (I started buying parts over a month ago and the case is sitting in the closet right now)

I hope this helps - I know I rambled a bit but I am getting ready for bed and am kind of tired :)
this gives more reason to go for the shorter 350

Coolflow

Phantom 500 does fit

Post by Coolflow » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:05 pm

I'd just like to add (first post - long time lurker!) that the Phantom 500 does fit. but....

I really wanted to try a Phantom PSU with this case (as they seem to be made for each other). Having said that I was a little nervous about how easy it would be to fit the Phantom 500 (because of its extra length) into the lower PSU chamber especially with that 38mm deep fan in there! I shouldn't of worried...it was a tight squeeze requiring the removal of the fan before installing the PSU and then putting the fan back in after. This left about 5mm clearance between the fan and the back of the PSU (having ensured that the PS cables were pulled to the side and not interferring with the fan. However, when powered up the 38mm Antec Tricool fan whinned like a turbine....not good. So I exchanged it for one of the redundant standard Tricools removed from the case (changed for SilenX fans). In the hand there was a distinct vibration from the 38 mm fan when running. The 25mm Fan was much quieter, no whine and strangely enough (because its a lower flow fan for a given voltage) generated much greater flow through the PSU. I'm attributing this to the fact that the 25mm fan is significantly further from the back of the PSU, where as the 38mm fan was right next to the back of the PSU with the fans central dead spot adjacent to the air intake of the PSU.

Pictures here: -

http://forums.kustompcs.co.uk/showthrea ... post282967

Cheers

PPGMD

Post by PPGMD » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:20 pm

Ok that makes sense, I think I will probably do a fan replacement down there then.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:51 am

Welcome to SPCR Coolflow!

I can confirm that the Phantom 500 fits with the stock fan — it's just really, really difficult to pull off. The best way seems to be to route the cables first, then remove the second case panel so that you can pull the cables out of the way while you put the fan in. This lets you route the cable towards the far side of the case away from the fan. They should then twist around over the PSU, eventually reaching the divider between the two chambers from above the PSU, which means the wires don't have to be run directly in front of the fan.

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:27 pm

The ATX12V cable on the Phantom 500 has an 8 pin connector, then about 4 inches, then the 4 pin connector. If your motherboard requires the 8 pin connector, it will reach, but there won't be a heap of room to arrange the cable nicely. If you need the 4 pin connector, then there's plenty of length.

The P5WD2 motherboard I'm using also has the ATX12V socket behind the keyboard socket, and will take either 8 or 4 pin - I elected to use the 8 pin (less heat in the wires if there are 4x12V instead of 2x12V, I guess) - I had to run the cable in "mid-air" over the video card, rather than making it neat, but it's not too bad.

I still use the fan bracket in the lower chamber, but I use a thnner fan. And yeah, the power cables have to be pulled up fairly tight to be certain they'll not interfere with the fan. It's not hard to do.

HTH

Coolflow

Post by Coolflow » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:40 pm

Cheers Devonavar,

Your description is how I achieved it!

All that remains is to find a better quiet 120mm fan for the PSU chamber. I now have a Nexus and a Acoustifan Dustproof waiting to be tried over the weekend.

PS does everyone else here have a collection of tried & rejected fans? :shock:

All the best

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:08 pm

The noise level of emptying a box of rejected fans exceeds the SilentPCReview standard for a quiet computer :D