Antec TP-II 550W SLI Ready Power Supply

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dynamiks

Antec TP-II 550W SLI Ready Power Supply

Post by dynamiks » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:41 am

Any reason why this power supply hasn't been reviewed? For the price and specs of this power supply, I am surprised to see rarely any talk about it. The only reason I am guessing is maybe its loud? But there are plenty of other 120mm power supplies that have been reviewed that were loud. Like the Coolermaster.

Anyway this PSU can be had for just under $100, and I was considering it for my new SLI setup. Any reason to not go with this power supply? Anyone who has one can put it any input on how you like yours, and if the voltages are good? The amps on the 12v rails are even higher than the Seasonic S12 600w.

disc

Post by disc » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:04 am

I have never heard a Seasonic, or other quality PSU's, but I have this very power supply, and I don't find it loud at all. But then again, everyone's noise tolerance is different. I love all the power, and all the cables on this unit though.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:50 pm

anyone else with some input?

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:10 pm

dynamiks wrote:anyone else with some input?
You should see this thread at OCforums:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=383405

Its alot to read but its definatly worth it if you are interested in a TPII.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:10 pm

The thread at ocforums was discussed here a while ago.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ht=#198682

I'm not sure why anyone would point to the OC thread as a credible assessment of a tp 2.0. If you have a P180 none of this really applies, because the antec is not going to ramp up. But if you have a hot system with poor airflow don't count on a psu to cool it. Larva points out that the antec fan is not a high pressure design and the fan grill is mounted between the fan and the case leaving a gap. He does a fan swap, talks about high pressure fan design, seals the gap, calls antec, but really the antec is no different in these respects than a seasonic. The seasonic has the same gap and uses a standard 120x25mm adda ball bearing fan. In his system a phantom 350 would ramp up. - FG

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:11 pm

frankgehry wrote:The thread at ocforums was discussed here a while ago.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ht=#198682

I'm not sure why anyone would point to the OC thread as a credible assessment of a tp 2.0.
Just because this was posted on ocforums doesn't mean it isn't credable. Larva stated the facts about the power supply, I think you can draw your own conclusions.
frankgehry wrote: If you have a P180 none of this really applies, because the antec is not going to ramp up.
So basicly your correcting for shortcomings in the cooling abbility of the power supply, which is essentialy what Larva is getting at.
frankgehry wrote: But if you have a hot system with poor airflow don't count on a psu to cool it.
Agreed, the power supply should not be relied upon to cool the rest of your components. I think you can rest assured that Larva has plenty of airflow in his case considering the fact he is using 120mm Sanyo Denkis.
frankgehry wrote: Larva points out that the antec fan is not a high pressure design and the fan grill is mounted between the fan and the case leaving a gap.
He does a fan swap, talks about high pressure fan design, seals the gap, calls antec, but really the antec is no different in these respects than a seasonic. The seasonic has the same gap and uses a standard 120x25mm adda ball bearing fan. In his system a phantom 350 would ramp up. -
You are right about the gap on the seasonic, I never really took notice of that until you mentioned it. However, I don't really think it has a very large impact in either case.

Basicly, the Antec is louder and their ratings are definatly suspect (as shown in the tomshwardware test.) I think its a pretty easy decision to cough up the extra 30.00 for an S12.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:09 pm

I don't see how you could interpret my post as all OC threads are not believable. I clearly state why I dismiss Larva's review of the antec as having any credibility.

I believe dynamiks has a p180 so I wouldn't worry too much about fan noise, since the heat from a few hard drives is not going to make the fan ramp up. From other accounts of tp 2.0s, including some on this site, the fan runs at about 1000rpm and is very quiet.

The noise data published at toms is the max dba at full output over 7 days?. The s12 is 59dba, the antec is 60dba, and the enermax noisetaker is 58.6. Do you really have to use numbers like these to try and make a point. Again, the psu tests at toms have been discussed here also and they do not approximate realistic useage as no psu is going to be used flat out all the time. Your arguements are rather flimsy, but you can believe who you want. - FG

Purchases are often tradeoffs between one feature or another. I happen to like detachable cables. Seasonics don't have detachable cables. I don't like power supplies with down facing fans. Rely on your own judgement sometime.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:51 pm

If it is true what frank said about the TPII running at 1000w on average that would be great. Considering how I have nothing in the lower chamber of my P180, the power supply should be able to remain pretty cool, and shouldn't ramp up often.

Honestly I have no problem spending the extra money on the Seasonic S12-600W. I actually think the it is a great power supply. My only gripe with it is that the cables are too short (which if you have a P180, would mean less room to hide cables). And I don't like how the cables are twisted, as that shortens the length even more, and makes the cables less flexible.

Yes I could always untwist the cables on the Seasonic, but that would just be a hassle. The less modifications I have to perform, the better. The only thing I might do to any power supply is sleeve the cables. That is, if I'm feeling up for the task when I get the power supply. Since sleeving is very time consuming and frustrating.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:07 pm

Maybe disc can verify what kind of fan speeds he is getting with the tp 2.0 550w.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:49 pm

frankgehry wrote:Maybe disc can verify what kind of fan speeds he is getting with the tp 2.0 550w.
Yea that would be nice. I have been trying on multiple forums to find people with this power supply, and I haven't had no luck yet. I really am very interested in this power supply. And I like every single thing about it so far, the only thing holding me back is I'm worried about how loud it is. I mean I could always remove the fan, and replace it, but I dunno if I want to do that and ruin my 3 year warranty.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:35 pm

I found this quote from OCforums -

i have two tpII 550s and i have no problem with the fan speed. if i'm understanding this all correctly, if the fans weren't doing their job, then the temp sensor would be kicking the fan into high gear, like the 1800rpm you had Larva. yet the max i've seen on either was ~1100 in the dog days before i brought my ac's down from the attic. typically, like now, its at 950ish and boot or idle used to be 800's (since folding i don't see idle) -

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:56 pm

frankgehry wrote:I found this quote from OCforums -

i have two tpII 550s and i have no problem with the fan speed. if i'm understanding this all correctly, if the fans weren't doing their job, then the temp sensor would be kicking the fan into high gear, like the 1800rpm you had Larva. yet the max i've seen on either was ~1100 in the dog days before i brought my ac's down from the attic. typically, like now, its at 950ish and boot or idle used to be 800's (since folding i don't see idle) -
That is VERY good news... I think I may be getting this power supply in the future then. Because if its silent then it has everything I want and need in a PSU. Also it has more amps on the two 12v rails than the 600w Seasonic. I guess thats a good thing :)

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:24 pm

I went ahead and ordered the TPII 550w. It was 79.99 shipped after rebate at Newegg, so I could not resist.

suchageek
Friend of SPCR

Post by suchageek » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:57 am

dynamiks wrote:I went ahead and ordered the TPII 550w. It was 79.99 shipped after rebate at Newegg, so I could not resist.
I like mine a lot and the modular design came in handy when installing it in my P180. It's a little fat for the bracket in the P180 (the side brackets flanges out a bit) but with patience you can get it flush by alternating tightening the screws on one side first, then the other. The modular part helped when routing the cables. It was really nice to be able to pull the cable from the back of the PSU and re-route a cable. Plus, you only connect the cables you need so no floppy or SLI cable in mine. :)

Let us know what you think of yours when you get it.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:25 am

suchageek wrote:
dynamiks wrote:I went ahead and ordered the TPII 550w. It was 79.99 shipped after rebate at Newegg, so I could not resist.
I like mine a lot and the modular design came in handy when installing it in my P180. It's a little fat for the bracket in the P180 (the side brackets flanges out a bit) but with patience you can get it flush by alternating tightening the screws on one side first, then the other. The modular part helped when routing the cables. It was really nice to be able to pull the cable from the back of the PSU and re-route a cable. Plus, you only connect the cables you need so no floppy or SLI cable in mine. :)

Let us know what you think of yours when you get it.
Sounds like your thinking of the SmartPower 2.0. Because I know the TPII 550W doesn't come modular.

suchageek
Friend of SPCR

Post by suchageek » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:16 am

Oops, you're right. :oops:

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Re: Antec TP-II 550W SLI Ready Power Supply

Post by rpsgc » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:41 am

dynamiks wrote:Any reason why this power supply hasn't been reviewed?
I want to know too! :D

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:14 pm

I just got my TP-II 550w today, and I'm very upset at how the cables are all tangled and twisted through each other. And there is no way to untangle them without opening the power supply and voiding the warranty. This really pisses me off. :evil:

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Antec TP-II 550W SLI Ready Power Supply

Post by Devonavar » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:54 pm

rpsgc wrote:
dynamiks wrote:Any reason why this power supply hasn't been reviewed?
I want to know too! :D
No, no particular reason. To many products, not enough time.

hightower

Post by hightower » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:14 am

It isn't Nvidia SLI certified. For that reason, you should avoid it. Go for an enermax noisetaker 600w or Seasonic s12 600w.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:17 am

hightower wrote:It isn't Nvidia SLI certified. For that reason, you should avoid it. Go for an enermax noisetaker 600w or Seasonic s12 600w.
Since when that's important?

hightower

Post by hightower » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:21 am

Since when that's important?
:roll:

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:25 am

hightower wrote::roll:
Two 7800GTX consume 160W. But if your going to take their power recommendations seriously, go ahead and buy a 600W PSU, or a 1000W :roll: