Noiseless low power PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

cloneman

Noiseless low power PSU

Post by cloneman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:10 am

I'm building a server for myself which will mostly be a web server. My Objective was to keep running costs down as much as possible - as well as silencing. I went for a 1Ghz Via C3 system (so as to just put a large heatsink and forget its there).

This system is small form factor (only 2 PCI slots). At the very most. It's going to run 1 HD, maybe 1 120mm fan at 5-7v, and maybe one opitcal drive, and a of course a NIC.

I'm guessing this would put its intake to something very small (60W?). If manufacturers were in the business, I'm sure making a 100W fanless PSU would be a joke. But of course, they are not - so I need help from you guys. Should I just buy a chepo 300 watt and replace the fan with a low spinning 120mm? Or are there already low power fanless solutions available that I havent seen anywhere?

zenith

Post by zenith » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:43 pm

I have one C3 system myself. Currently running it as a headless server for testing purposes. My cpu is 800Mhz and passively cooled. I don't know if were really lucky, but the PSU in my Chiftec DS-01 enclosure is really quiet. It's by far the most silent of all my computers.

I guess that since the cpu draws so little power it the fan never has to speed up. The PSU is a standard chieftec 200W microatx psu. However, I don't think the case is in production anymore :/

fromer

Re: Noiseless low power PSU

Post by fromer » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:02 am

cloneman wrote:Or are there already low power fanless solutions available that I havent seen anywhere?
What about using a DC-DC power supply and a power brick instead of a traditional PSU ?

Like these from mini-box.

They make them as powerfull as 200W (and as small as 60W), and claim an >95% efficiency...