So my Super Silencer 460 is loud now...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Interitus

So my Super Silencer 460 is loud now...

Post by Interitus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:42 pm

Well everyone said the fan in this thing gets clicky. Oh my lord...

Clicky is about the 9th word I'd describe this fan with right now. Cardboard in the spokes of a bike wheel pretty much sums it up right now.

Anyone have this problem with the SS460? I would understand if it got a little clicky over time, but this thing is downright awful right now. If it's abnormal I'm probably going to RMA it even though it's the only PSU I own so computer downtime would be long and a big pain for me.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:02 am

I don't have a SS460 so can't comment on the noise, however I do remember reading somewhere that it's possible to remove the 'warranty void if removed' sticker with a hairdryer? You could try the swap and see if it is any better.

A short while ago I was desperate to get hold of a SS but in the end settled for a used Tornado (have seen the post in the classifieds section).

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:19 pm

Yeah I would try it out but I guess it wasn't something I wanted to do really. Not trying to start a flame war about whether it's wrong to do that or not, I just personally don't feel right screwing the system. To each his own :)

I'm about 2 days out from just voiding the warranty and doing it anyways. The only thing that concerned me was how close the heatsinks were to the fan. I don't have the most steady hands in the world so I'd get really nervous about operating inside the PSU without shocking the bejesus out of myself hehe. (those large heatsinks are live aren't they?) Anyways, I'll give my post in the classifieds a few more days, if I don't sell it I'll probably just try the swap. I would have liked to sell it and get an S12 though, since I won't have to worry about the fan and I always did want one, they just weren't available in retail yet when I built my rig.

Other than the fan I've been super happy with the SS460, I just never imagined that fan getting this bad. It's by far the worst noise I've ever heard a fan make. I considered an RMA, but the whole reason for this post was that I was worried that an RMA would just result in another noisy fan a few months down the road.

Decisions decisions...hehe.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:35 pm

it happens to all sleeve-bearing fans, including my Super Tornado. you'd have to oil it. or you can replace the fan. voiding the warranty? after so long is the warranty still any good? i don't think you can sell it for much since the S12 is out now, but you can try. I still think you should replace the fan. The 80mm Yate Loons don't click and are quieter. Personally I think The Super Silencer can be modded to be more quiet than the S12.

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:31 pm

Seasonic's warranty is for 3 years. The PSU is only ~4-5 months old, so I have at least 2 1/2 years left on the warranty.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:43 pm

Only 4-5 months? OK, then it's definately defective. Send it back.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:48 pm

I've had mine for about a year, and it still runs fine. However, I've already voided my warranty and fanswapped with an L1A in a pretty powerful system - it still runs great (and quiet!)

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:56 am

cotdt wrote:Only 4-5 months? OK, then it's definately defective. Send it back.
Yeah that's another reason for this entire post, was just wondering if this was abnormal for fan failure in the Super Silencers. I'd have to double check my receipt, but it's definitely newer than 6 months. At the most 5 1/2. I just didn't leave RMA as an option since It's my only PSU in my only rig. Don't want the 3 weeks downtime :(
acaurora wrote:I've had mine for about a year, and it still runs fine. However, I've already voided my warranty and fanswapped with an L1A in a pretty powerful system - it still runs great (and quiet!)
I really have no issues with this PSU other than the fan and I'd love to keep it. I think I'm falling more and more toward replacing the fan...

Anything I should definitely know before attempting this?

This is what I would use as my guidline, correct me if I'm wrong here.

1.) The large heatsinks are live, don't touch them.
2.) The M1A-BX should plug right into the old fan header
3.) Reiterate, just don't touch anything other than the fan haha
4.) insert your comments here.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:24 pm

I have used the paperclip method to drain the power supply when modding psu's.

After my first mod (modded an FSP 300 using Edward Ng's guide and help via email) I was surprised it still worked. I thought I had blown something inside.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:56 pm

I used an L1A, and it is really quiet, and still is very quiet ;P

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Interitus wrote:1.) The large heatsinks are live, don't touch them.
After you have followed the instuctions in
How to completely drain a power supply...
the heatsinks are no longer live.

For more instructions about swapping the fan in a PSU, see the stickies at the top of this forum.

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:01 pm

First, Thanks Tibors for the link, I somehow missed it in my search (have a knack for typing lame strings hehe)

Anyways,

I did the swap. Couldn't take the noise anymore and selling the PSU wasn't very promising. It's amazing how much quieter the PSU is now.

For those wondering, the PSU fan uses a 2-pin plug and the PCB for the fan controller is a seperate board from the main board in the PSU. While it's still not a hard task, I was taken back by this as every picture I've seen of the inside of a Seasonic SS series hasn't had this layout. Basically it took a trip to the electronics store for some solder and a few minutes of soldering to fix. I have a pic of the connector and PCB. Will post it a little later, got a lot of work to do on here since I haven't had the PC up in a few days hehe.

azanon

Post by azanon » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:47 pm

Interitus,

I have a Supersilencer 460 i bought a few months ago new, and it does the very same damn thing; and did so pretty much the first week. Frankly, i'm a little upset at this website for recommending this POS powersupply. I was not surprised to see you have one that does the same thing. I wonder if the website owner would say how much Seasonic is paying them because this is clearly not a concidence (meaning this is likely a common problem with the SS 460). And for the record, this was the updated "pci express ready" version.

I'm not returning it either for similar reasons you mentioned. For one, it doesnt start the "cardboard inserted in the fan" clicking right away so they'd probably deam it not defective if i returned it and charge me to send it back, adding insult to injury.

Of all the powersupplies ive had, this one was by far the most annoying.

I ordered the S-12 330watt (decided i dont really need 460 watts anyway). Ive seen several posts now about how quiet it is. If I get screwed again, i'm going to be really unhappy and decide there's a massive consiperacy going on (same person posting 25 times under different user names talking about how quiet the S-12 is).

Azanon

azanon

misc

Post by azanon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:41 am

I contacted Seasonic and i'm going to attempt to return it via an RMA number. I warned them though in my email that the horrid clicking sound sometimes doesnt start until after the pc's been on a few hours. But since i often leave my pc on 24 hrs a day for several days, this is going to be unacceptable for me.

Azanon