Help! seeking "new" PSU/wattage advice and brand.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

frosty

Help! seeking "new" PSU/wattage advice and brand.

Post by frosty » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:49 am

I just got word the pc I blew up is under total warranty so I get a new mobo, cpu and cuda hard drive, oh lucky me.

Questions for you smart Folks out there. I am considering just letting them, the experts install my 9800 ATI this time, since they won't re-warranty it if I kill it again, and I was wondering what you all suggest in them installing a new PSU.

The current 250 watt Sparkle brand totally is inadequate and insufficient for my needs.

Do I need to go all the way to a 400 watt?

If so what is your opinions of brands and suggestions. I have a little bit to spend and not afraid to buy a good, silent psu. Will be powering, 2.4 cpu, cd rw drive, 3.5 fdd, ATI 9800 fanless pro vid card and a 7200 barracuda hard drive. 2 256 of ram memory.

Any suggestions or help is very appreciated, you Guys are electronic pc Wizards. :)

Thank you,

frosty

Spinner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Spinner » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:15 am

I have about the same power profile as you do (P4 2.4, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, 1 HDD) and I chose a Seasonic S12-380. It performs admirably. My Zalman CNPS-7000AlCu is noisier than my PSU. I have tried it in two different cases and in both the noise was extremely low (I have to put my ear beside it to hear it).

And you still have plenty of power left if you want to upgrade anything. I'm quite sure your system doesn't draw more than 200W.

darthan

Post by darthan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:18 am

First off, a 250W PSU is totally adequate for that level of power demand.

Second, read the recommended PSU list to make your choice.

The Seasonic S12 series seems to be the best quiet PSU available right now. You could get an S12-330W or you could go higher if it would make you feel better. For the computer you describe a 330W PSU has all the power you need and you don't sound like the type to be doing a lot of high power upgrading.

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:38 am

Thanks for the advice, sorry about the PSU section, I had forgot about that. :(