Pretty excited about TruePower II 480W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

figarro

Pretty excited about TruePower II 480W

Post by figarro » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:01 pm

After the slow and agonizing death of my heavily modded Antec Smartpower 350W I've decided to switch to another Antec model, the Truepower II 480W.
To my surprize is amazingly quiet in 3700AMB, RPM varying from 800 at boot, around 1000 at IDLE and 1100 during gameplay. My dumped case manages to lower the noise of the Truepower, except the high pitched wine of the fan that can be heard sometimes.
By putting my hand on the read vent grill near the power plug I can feel the stell at over 40ºC, so I suspect that the thermal control mechanism of the fan is pretty new and helps in ramping down RPM.
If I'll switch to P180 in the future I suspect that the Truepower will not rump up over 1000RPM in the lower chamber....if the cables are long enough, which seem to be.
That being said I'm pretty amazed by the "low noise" Truepower, given that I don't have air conditioning at home and now the room temperature hovers around 30ºC.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:14 am

I just installed my TP-II 550W today. And you are right is it extremely quiet. I am running mine in an Antec P180, and at idle it sits at 830rpm (can't even hear it). And yes all the cables reach in the P180, the only cable that barely makes it is the +12v 4-pin cable. It just reaches the top of the motherboard, with no slack at all. I might buy the extension, so I can run it underneath my motherboard because I don't like how it goes right across my whole board. But I am a neat freak, and I am picky. Other people probably wouldn't care.

figarro

Post by figarro » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:25 am

The 4 pin +12V is a common problem it seems with the P180. The ugly part is that in Romania I can only find 20 pin extenders, anything else....
It seems that with Truepower II, Antec managed to get a better thermal management system. The fan is a little dissapointing, producing a small whine during operation but for a non modded PSU it's ok.
I wish Antec put some Yate Loon, Panaflo or Papst inside it's PSU's but maybe they'll listen to SPCR next time.
Also the service and support Antec provides it's excellent, got an answer to my ticket in less that 24hours (the time difference also may have contributed to that).