Super Silencer A3 fanless in P180?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Super Silencer A3 fanless in P180?

Post by Gxcad » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:02 pm

Hi fellow SPCR folks,

I just got a A3 super silencer which I was hoping I could run without voiding my warranty and very quietly in my new P180. My current system draws about 60W (I've measured) so I was hoping for about ~77% - 80% efficiency at this power level. I had this idea to jam the fan from the outside with something (I usually use a chopstick or something), but wanted something more discreet or at least professional looking and was wondering 2 things.

1. If I put a 12cm orange yate loon in the bottom chaimber of my P180 at 5v, would this be a safe thing to do (to jam the fan, essentially making it fanless?)

2. has anyone done the jam the fan method on a long term basis? Any discreet or "neat" ways to do it?

Any experiences, ideas welcomed and apreciated!

Thanks,

-Ken

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:57 pm

Jamming the fan longterm is a bad idea. It stalls the fan motor at which point it has the highest current draw. This causes the coils to heat up, and since there is no movement of the fan there's nothing to keep them cool. Over time this will ruin the fan. Are you sure you can't just unplug it?

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:26 am

The whole reason I can't unplug it is so I don't have to open it, thus voiding the warranty. There would be cooling since it is in a P180 and I plan to have one of the orange yate loons @ 5v in the bottom chaimber.

-Ken