external laptop power supply used as atx psu

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

cloneman

external laptop power supply used as atx psu

Post by cloneman » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:16 pm

heres the link that poked my interest.
http://6u7nvw.quickaddy.com/

could I get a ext psu like that for a low power system I'm building?

Thx

EDIT: was just giving this http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/c.ACCT1272 ... gory.13/.f

link for a DC-DC and power brick solution. Feel free to post if you know of other retailers that carry this stuff. Thx!

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:44 pm

More than likely, yes. What are you specs?

I recently picked up a Lex/Bona Computech 110w power supply for my Turion64 computer. One of the cool things about these kits is that the DC-DC converter is highly efficient -- I have read as high as 95% for some models. By separating the AC-DC and DC-DC conversion, you move the most inefficient part (rectification of the AC current) outside the case. This means that the internal part of the power supply may only be dissipating, for example, 5w of heat. This makes your computer that much easier to keep quiet. :)

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:45 am

Hey, frostedflakes. Have you installed the DC-DC converter in your system yet?

This sort of thing appeals to me for a future HTPC I'm planning but I always wondered how easy it was to fit the actual converter in a case. I've searched various places on the net but couldn't find any information about how it would be attached in a system without specific mountings.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:07 am

My specs:

Via c3 733Mhz (Passively cooled)
256MB Ram
20G Maxtor HD

Thats about it... this baby needs no watts

Url for the psu you bought?

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:34 am

I'm seeing a few DC-DC adapters that look good...

Do I have to get a special overpriced power brick to go with it or will any generic one do?

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:16 am

Mariner wrote:Hey, frostedflakes. Have you installed the DC-DC converter in your system yet?

This sort of thing appeals to me for a future HTPC I'm planning but I always wondered how easy it was to fit the actual converter in a case. I've searched various places on the net but couldn't find any information about how it would be attached in a system without specific mountings.
It hasn't arrived yet. Should be here on Monday.

Mounting is one of the issues that I've been rolling around in my mind. For a mini-ITX case this isn't a problem, but with a micro-ATX or ATX case that was designed to use a standard PSU, it may be more difficult to mount the DC-DC board. You can buy boards that plug directly into the ATX connector, but you'd have to make sure that this wouldn't interfere with anything on the motherboard or in the case.

I was planning to build a custom bracket that holds the DC-DC converter and attaches to the back of my case, like a standard power supply would.
cloneman wrote:My specs:

Via c3 733Mhz (Passively cooled)
256MB Ram
20G Maxtor HD

Thats about it... this baby needs no watts

Url for the psu you bought?
Yup, that thing shouldn't be using hardly any power. :)

What kind of optical drive are you using? Standard, slim, or none? If you have a slim optical drive or aren't using one at all, you can probably get by with a 60w kit. With a standard size drive, you'd probably want to bump it up to 80w.

Epiacenter has a list of DC-DC converters here. The unit I bought was the Lex PW004.

http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?n ... age&pid=40

This site has the best prices I've found so far on the Morex 60w and 80w power kits.

http://www.ajump.com/ajump/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=2045

MoJo-chan

Post by MoJo-chan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:47 pm

Consider a Mini-ITX PSU. You can get higher wattage ones than most laptop PSUs, which are also silent and usually to a larger extent external.