Gonna get a Seasonic S-12 430 but have some questions

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Humbucker

Gonna get a Seasonic S-12 430 but have some questions

Post by Humbucker » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:02 pm

I'm replacing my Antec Smartpower 450watt power supply and it seems the S12 430 is the best bang for the buck in terms of quietness and efficiency. Before I go ahead and order it I have some questions though, if you guys could possibly answer them for me that would be much appreciated. :)

1. I live in the UK and the ONLY place I can find one is here - http://www.koolnquiet.co.uk/index.php?m ... alog&id=52 As they are so rare in this country, will I run into any compatibilty issues? Are there any other UK posters here who have one? My processor is an Athlon 64 3400+.

2. Will the wattage be enough for my system? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but here's my specs:-

MSI MS-6741
Athlon 64 3400+
1GB RAM
200GB HD(not sure exactly what type)
Nvidia 6600GT TDH AGP
M-Audio Audiophile 192
Windows XP Home SP2

3. How difficult is taking out the old PSU and replacing it with this one? I had a tech guy put the Antec one in and it took him no time at all. This time I'm gonna have to do it myself as I can't afford to pay someone to do it. Is it pretty easy to follow the installation guide?

Many thanks in advance. :)

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:44 pm

1) I wouldn't say they were that rare in the UK these days... I know Scan also stock them, so do Overclockers, so do X-Case. I don't see why there should be any compatibility problems - IIRC there were one or two issues with certain DFI boards, but this was nothing to do with the locale.

2) Yes

3) It's about as difficult as falling off a log...really, an installation guide is hardly necessary as it's obvious where all the connectors go and they'll only fit one way. The trickiest bit (if you can call it that) is keeping the cables tidy...

Humbucker

Post by Humbucker » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:11 am

OK, many thanks Nick - I think I'll go ahead and order one. Thanks again. :)

Humbucker

Post by Humbucker » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:45 am

Ordered it, really looking forward to receiving it. This Antec PSU I have in is the ONLY what I would consider 'noisy' thing in my case so hopefully getting the S12-430 will eliminate all the noise. :)

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:15 am

3) It's about as difficult as falling off a log...really, an installation guide is hardly necessary as it's obvious where all the connectors go and they'll only fit one way. The trickiest bit (if you can call it that) is keeping the cables tidy...
Just remember that in some cases a PSU swap requires taking out the motherboard also. What case have you got?

Despite being 'fool' proof, I still managed to break a SATA power connector on mine - they can be a bit flimsy. Just push them on or off, no bending..
Also, I have heard of the occassional person who somehow connected the floppy drive power connector incorrectly, resulting in smoke...

Hmm. Youre comment- Cure the noisy PSU and the PC will be quiet? We've all been there before.... You'll be back.. :lol:

DonP

Post by DonP » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:03 am

Humbucker wrote:Ordered it, really looking forward to receiving it. This Antec PSU I have in is the ONLY what I would consider 'noisy' thing in my case so hopefully getting the S12-430 will eliminate all the noise. :)
FWIW Kustompcs.co.uk also stock the S12-430.. I might end up getting one from them eventually.

I've got a question (to anyone) though.. Is the S12-430 really that quiet nowadays? From the postscript to the SPCR S12-430 review it seems the fan has been swapped out for a louder one.. so is the S12-430 still soo good? I have a SS-351HT (kinda like a S12 OEM) and it's great.. so now I want to swap my main desktop's Antec POS PSU for an S12.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:08 am

DonP wrote:I've got a question (to anyone) though.. Is the S12-430 really that quiet nowadays? From the postscript to the SPCR S12-430 review it seems the fan has been swapped out for a louder one.. so is the S12-430 still soo good?
:roll: You should read the whole thing -- the last lines of the PS: "Without the early Yate Loon version S12 to compare directly against, I could only say that this is "new and improved" S12-430 is one heck of a quiet PSU. If this is the cost of a little extra reliability and longevity, I doubt anyone will be aware of even paying the price." It is still the quietest fanned PSU we've ever tested -- by a big margin.

Humbucker

Post by Humbucker » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:39 am

ozdoc wrote:
Just remember that in some cases a PSU swap requires taking out the motherboard also. What case have you got?

Despite being 'fool' proof, I still managed to break a SATA power connector on mine - they can be a bit flimsy. Just push them on or off, no bending..
Also, I have heard of the occassional person who somehow connected the floppy drive power connector incorrectly, resulting in smoke...

Hmm. Youre comment- Cure the noisy PSU and the PC will be quiet? We've all been there before.... You'll be back.. :lol:
Well when the tech guy put the Antec PSU in he didn't need to take the motherboard out. Surely I won't have to will I? As for curing the noisy PC, I can honestly say the whining noise that this Antec PSU makes is the ONLY thing that bothers me - So if this S12-430 is as quiet as people say I will be very happy.

DonP

Post by DonP » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:33 am

MikeC wrote:It is still the quietest fanned PSU we've ever tested -- by a big margin.
Thanks Mike - I must admit I slightly skimmed over the text you quoted - I was just looking at the new dBA numbers and comments like "The Adda fan has a bit more buzz while the Yate Loon seems to have a bit more whoosh" and that had me a little concerned. Anyway - S12 it is then - thanks!

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:16 am

Humbucker wrote: Well when the tech guy put the Antec PSU in he didn't need to take the motherboard out. Surely I won't have to will I?
I very much doubt it - I don't recall ever having had to take out a motherboard simply to remove or install a PSU. I suppose it might be necessary in some cases...maybe if you had a very cramped case with a non-standard layout, but given your tech guy had no problems before I'm sure you'll be fine.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:09 pm

It is as quiet as they say.
If someone was able to get the old one out, then you will too.
It really depends on the size of the case, if the case is too small then you have to remove the motherboard .

One difficult connector to get off a motherboard, can be the PCIexpress supplemental connector down next to the pci-e card. But that may not have been hooked up with a 6600gt, as it may be optional with that low level card. If you have trouble with that connector Private message me, and I will give you a tip.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:13 pm

Yes, Wattage will be sufficient.
I reread you post and you have and agp version of 6600gt.
So you won't have a supplemental connector I think.
So then you won't run into that problem.
Your install should be easy.

J0hnB

Post by J0hnB » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:21 am

MikeC wrote:
DonP wrote:I've got a question (to anyone) though.. Is the S12-430 really that quiet nowadays? From the postscript to the SPCR S12-430 review it seems the fan has been swapped out for a louder one.. so is the S12-430 still soo good?
:roll: You should read the whole thing -- the last lines of the PS: "Without the early Yate Loon version S12 to compare directly against, I could only say that this is "new and improved" S12-430 is one heck of a quiet PSU. If this is the cost of a little extra reliability and longevity, I doubt anyone will be aware of even paying the price." It is still the quietest fanned PSU we've ever tested -- by a big margin.
Why haven't you guys tested any of the Antec TruePower 2.0 series? You've looked at the Smartpower 2.0, but not the TruePower 2.0 which I feel will be almost on par with the S12.