Antec NeoHE "High-Efficiency"

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

w00dy

Post by w00dy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:44 pm

Same problem here w/ Neo 4E in the P150.

Low rails : - 12v = 11.84v 5v = 4.78v 3.3v = 3.2v

Random shut down during gameplay - and YES I do have a Asus A8N SLI Premium.

Not best pleased to be honest.

Are the low rails a fault of the board or the supply?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:00 am

w00dy wrote:Same problem here w/ Neo 4E in the P150.

Low rails : - 12v = 11.84v 5v = 4.78v 3.3v = 3.2v

Random shut down during gameplay - and YES I do have a Asus A8N SLI Premium.

Not best pleased to be honest.

Are the low rails a fault of the board or the supply?
Have you read the rest of this thread???

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 047#220047

Unless you can verify that you got those readings from a MULTIMETER, there's no point citing them. It's been mentioned about a bazillion times that software based readings of MB voltages are unreliable gauges of PSU output voltages. Besides, the 5% ranges are: 11.4~12.6V, 4.75~5.25V, and 3.135~3.465. If the voltages are within those ranges, they're perfectly fine. Yours are, even if they are read off some mb monitoring utility.

w00dy

Post by w00dy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:15 am

Hi Mike

No I havent checked the rails with a multimeter :oops:

But I do have a Rev 1.02 Asus A8N- SLI premium board which Antec reckon has no issues. :(

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:19 am

w00dy wrote:But I do have a Rev 1.02 Asus A8N- SLI premium board which Antec reckon has no issues. :(
uhoh, sounds bad... better hit both Antec & Asus. :|

hravn

Post by hravn » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am

Oh no... OH NO!

w00dy

Post by w00dy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:43 am

To qualify the issue further I have NOT had a crash in Windows / general browsing etc yet.

The PSU has turned off twice during gameplay - World of Warcraft - once after 40 mins and once after 15 mins. No warning, no blue screen, just turns itself off.

Hope Antec can sort this problem soon - dont really want to undo all the build again !

(PS: Just double checked again to be safe - screen printed on the PCB of the Motherboard is Rev 1.02)

Sooty

Re: for those who didn't see...

Post by Sooty » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:05 am

O/T:
KorruptioN wrote: Looks like these new PSUs from Antec are affiliated with Seasonic, and not Channel Well Technologies we're used to. They look very similar to the PCP&C Silencer series, which are produced by Seasonic.
Do PCP&C buy-in their Dell and Turbo range? If so, who makes them? The ones fitted in Dell’s are considered to have a seriously good rep for reliability.

hravn

Post by hravn » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:21 am

w00dy wrote:To qualify the issue further I have NOT had a crash in Windows / general browsing etc yet.

The PSU has turned off twice during gameplay - World of Warcraft - once after 40 mins and once after 15 mins. No warning, no blue screen, just turns itself off.

Hope Antec can sort this problem soon - dont really want to undo all the build again !

(PS: Just double checked again to be safe - screen printed on the PCB of the Motherboard is Rev 1.02)
Well, it turns out you're pretty lucky (or not). My new rig will only stay on for like 20 seconds, and then it just shuts down. I can be sitting in the BIOS, seeing 25C CPU temp, and then it just dies. For the record, I also have rev 1.02 of the A8N-SLI Premium. So obviously, the statement that the problem has been resolved is false.

This sucks.

What components are you running, except for the A8N Premium?

w00dy

Post by w00dy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:48 am

Sorry to hear that :(

Spec:

San Diego 3700+
Asus A8N-SLI Premium (Rev 1.02)
1gb Corsair
X800XL (Club 3d)
200gb + 80gb WD HD
2 x DVD

Pretty standard fare.

I must say I have very mixed views on Antec ATM. The CASE is superb - love it to bits and has been designed fantastically well. The PSU - I fail to see this is Asus' problem - the A8N boards were released way before the Neo HE supplies, and I fail to understand why these supplies will not happily live with one of the most popular (and expensive :( ) Socket 939 board available.

I do not really want to go updating BIOS' etc on the machine which is running perfectly well. The problem comes with RMA and replacement supply - until the issue is resolved there is no way around it - surely the replacement will have the same incompatibility.

Finally, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Antec make the support bar running across your line of cases removable. I have got to remove the motherboard to take the PSU out so I can put a temporary replacement it. If the support bar was removable, this would alleviate this problem ! :)

hravn

Post by hravn » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:57 am

I'll second that. I don't actually have to remove the MB to get at the PSU, but I have to remove the Ninja... which is really a hassle ;)

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:11 am

hravn wrote:I'll second that. I don't actually have to remove the MB to get at the PSU, but I have to remove the Ninja... which is really a hassle ;)
Hmmm, looks like another reason to get a 180.

afrost

Post by afrost » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:04 am

crap, I was just about to buy a P150.....looks like I will still need to wait until I am sure they have the power supply sorted out.

I understand that the motherboard might not meet the proper specs for a standard motherboard......but as others have pointed out there are plenty of other power supplies that work just fine with it. If future motherboard purchases don't exactly meet the right specs, will we have problems with the NEO HE?

This situation sucks for Antec, and they probably have a great design for their power supply.....but they have to get it sorted out anyway.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

oh crap!

Post by klankymen » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:35 am

I ordered a 430 with an SLI premium and p180.

I'm just gonna hope it works allright, otherwise I'll complain my ass off to both Antec and Asus.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:35 am

Man, I don't believe it. I was so excited about the P150. Now that it is available @ newegg I was going to get one and a A8N - premium next week. I guess I'll have to go back to the seasonic with some other case. Too bad they don't sell the P150 without a power supply.

w00dy

Post by w00dy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:03 pm

Right - as I cannot use the Neo HE 430 supplied with my P150 with my A8N SLI Premium, I have a friend who may want to buy it off me.

He has a MSI Neo-4 Platinum.

I assume the Neo HE problem is limited to Asus and the MSI board will work okay with the PSU?

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:21 pm

^only one way to find out :)

hravn

Post by hravn » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:58 am

Woody, what BIOS are you running? Default 1006?

aqm consultant

Post by aqm consultant » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:28 pm

klankymen, woody, Antec rep, Asus rep, et al:
Any updates on the BIOS rev 1.02 compatibility thing and possible fixes in the works at Asus or Antec? I'd planned on a P150 - A8N combo, but REALLY don't need problems. Or want to buy a second PS :(

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:27 pm

well, I don't actually have it yet, but (as my sig also says), I'm expecting it tomorrow afternoon (it's thursday here allready), so I'll be hoping to have the system built / testable by the late evening GMT....

I, similar to you, am currently also hoping for any info in the meantime confirming it'll work now or something :)

I'll post with feedback tomorrow evening, or if the USPS is slow again, monday evening.

hravn

Post by hravn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:23 am

Update: updated the BIOS on my A8N-SLI Premium to 1009 (the latest), still no go. Computer powers on for 20-30 seconds, then powers down without any warning.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:06 pm

well, my whole system (minus the p180 :evil: ) arrived today, and i tentatively put it together.

first impressions.... OMG that laptop drive is small! :P :D

but.... back to the PSU

like the link in my sig says.... neoHE 430 with an sli-premium.

I have not done much with the system since i am both reluctant and incapable of it. why? since i'm not in the p180 yet, rather an old temporary case, i have not yet mounted the ninja, or any other heatsink. so i really don't want the cpu running for over a minute. secondly, i haven't put in the DVD drive, nor have i even looked for my windows CD, so i'm still running an empty HDD.

however i did power up and zoom around the bios a bit. and so far i definitely don't have hravn's problem. i zoomed around for a few minutes, set up my raid, and checked out my CnQ and overclocking options, and it showed no signs of crashing. so that's no 20-30 second crashes like hravn, however i can't guarantee it won't crash once i get it running properly.

So, I'm kind of in a "stay quiet position tonight, since my dad has jetlag and wants to sleep. I fiddled around with the ninja a little bit, but i couldn't find a way to install it with less than 4 hands yet. but ill get my dad or neighbour to help tomorrow, and then I'll install windows. so i'll be back with more news.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:40 pm

:shock:

You ran the CPU bare?!?

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:55 pm

realisticly it was like 40 seconds. then i turned it off again.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:03 pm

People haven't done that since the early/pre- Pentium days... After that, CPUs generated so much heat that they would fry themshelves if allowed to run without a fan.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:47 am

hmm... from what i was told they can last around 1 minute without encounterinmg trouble. anywase my bios woulda beeped if it went over 72

it apperars to be in working order now, no problems caused.

i just need to get a 64bit windows xp version somewhere....

kenoka

Post by kenoka » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Hello all. I hate to make this sort of thing my first post, but oh well.

I have just finished building a new system using a Neo HE 500 and Asus A8N-SLI Premium. I'm very happy with the system overall, except for the fact that it randomly shuts down. In reading this thread, it seems I'm not alone. I have started a trouble ticket with Antec, and will update this thread as I get more information.

The rest of my system is as follows:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 3200+
Scythe Ninja
OCZ Gold 1GB Dual Channel DDR400
XFX 6600GT 128MB with Zalman fanless heatpipe cooler
Seagate 250GB IDE (x2 - mirrored)
Seagate 400GB SATA
Seagate 200GB SATA
2 Nexus 120mm (one replacing rear exhaust fan, one in front as HD cooler)
Thick tri-cool fan replaced with thin tri-cool from rear to cool lower HD bay
Silverstone fan control/monitor

I'm happy with the sound quality of the system - just a barely audible whoosh. No resonance, no metallic overtones. The power supply is dead silent - the thermal isolation of the P180 helps on this I'm sure.

Temperatures at idle are 25-27C for the CPU, and 30-33C for the motherboard. Voltage according to AsusProbe is nominal.

My board is a rev 1.02 (just bought last week), and has BIOS 1007

Anyway, I hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:01 pm

I'm seeing the same no boot powerup problem with an Asus P5GDC... Known good parts (mainboard, cpu, etc).

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Sooty wrote:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=965645

Looks like those wanting all black P150’s will have their wishes granted. Take one white P150, build your system, switch it on, stand back (a safe distance) and watch your pride and joy turn a cool charcoal black – except it won’t be so cool, and you’ll need an extinguisher handy.
What's up with the FUD dude?

There are a couple of [H] guys with NeoHE issues (and according to the Antec Rep, a total of 6 known issues), none of which have had their PSU spontaneously burst into flames and burn their entire system.

A couple of guys jumping up and down and waving their arms around is not particularly significant and is certainly not a valid reason to base a buying decision on.

Senor Quack

Problems NOT with an A8N-SLI

Post by Senor Quack » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:41 pm

We just got the 500W NeoHE's in at my shop where I work as a tech. I decided to buy one for my main PC at home, but first I used it to test a customer's machine. It ran fine on a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Royal with a dual core pentium D 830 and 6800GTX card, which I expected.

I took it home and had the exact same problems everyone here is describing, where it'll shut off between 10-20 seconds after POST. Here's my system specs:

ASUS K8N socket754 AGP, 3.2ghz Athlon64
6600GT AGP
Adaptec I20 3200S 4-channel RAID controller
36GB Seagate Cheetah
120GB IDE Seagate 7200.7
2 optical drives
SB Live & TV tuner cards

Pretty modest system, right? No matter what rails I connected the cables to, it would always shut down. I even tried removing the RAID adapter and disconnecting the Cheetah, thinking that was possibly putting the system over the 5V wattage limit of the Neo, but no luck. I had to put my old 430W Truepower back in.

These things are junk, IMO.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:04 pm

But I'll tell ya what also, it's kind of dodgy if someone is saying that it is Asus that is doing something wrong, when I've now tried 3 other psu's on this setup and 3 out of 4 psu's tried boot my Asus p5gdc perfectly.

PSU's that WILL boot the setup:

Fortron
Seasonic
OCZ

I want Antec to consider a trade of this NeoHE430 that will not work where other PSU"s will , towards another of their models. I DID NOT pay $160 for a case only, where I have to remove the PSU and buy something different just to get a system to work.

AntecRep?

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:07 pm

please excuse any mistakes, I'm not in a good state right now.

BUT, i so far have no problems whatsoever with my NeoHE-430 and SLI-premium.

they are both the american version, on german 230V power, if that makes any difference, and i have been running for at least 6 hours as of now, but no load yet, as i still have to get CoD2 working. but idle / n64 emulator i have absolutely no crash problems of any sort.