Antec NeoHE "High-Efficiency"

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

chirphappy

Post by chirphappy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:46 am

jaganath wrote: Hold on, before you RMA, it would interesting to find out at exactly what time the buzzing starts and stops. Could it be something to do with something else that switches on/off in your house at a certain time (ie heating)?
Well, the only way I can do that is by sitting at the comp around the time when it gets dark. Maybe this weekend I can try to be home to see.

peerke

Post by peerke » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Does your power company have high cost and low cost periods for your power usage? I pay less for nightly power. Maybe it could have something to do with that?

chirphappy

Post by chirphappy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:54 pm

Well, I have had the most absurd experience with my NeoHE430. The nightly buzz is permanently gone - all from adding a sound card (M-Audio Revolution 5.1). I've read plenty of times that adding load can kill buzz in certain PSUs, but as my previous posts have elaborated, my buzzing was only at night. Now my computer is finally quiet. After about 2+ years of fiddling with various components (with lots of help from SPCR), I have finally reached a point where I can sit back and enjoy my silencing effort. Granted, I still hear some fan "whoosh" from the PSU, it is more than I ever expected to accomplish. I am forever indebted to this wonderful site. I will post pictures of my system in the gallery when I get the chance. Now to figure out why my Sage won't work when it wakes from hibernate... but that's for a different forum to discuss.

DonQ

Post by DonQ » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:30 pm

chirphappy wrote:Well, I have had the most absurd experience with my NeoHE430. The nightly buzz is permanently gone - all from adding a sound card (M-Audio Revolution 5.1). I've read plenty of times that adding load can kill buzz in certain PSUs, but as my previous posts have elaborated, my buzzing was only at night. Now my computer is finally quiet. After about 2+ years of fiddling with various components (with lots of help from SPCR), I have finally reached a point where I can sit back and enjoy my silencing effort. Granted, I still hear some fan "whoosh" from the PSU, it is more than I ever expected to accomplish. I am forever indebted to this wonderful site. I will post pictures of my system in the gallery when I get the chance. Now to figure out why my Sage won't work when it wakes from hibernate... but that's for a different forum to discuss.
Finally someone I can ask some questions about their Revo 5.1. Do you intend to game? I have had my Revo for around 2 years and I have to say that I absolutely love it! Well, as long as I'm not playing games in Windows. Music is clear and defined even at almost inaudible levels and at very, very loud levels there's almost no sound coming out of the speakers.

I first noticed the problem with Need for Speed Underground 2 but have since dealt with it with every other game, too, BF2, Oblivion... What happens is that there is a really awful scratchy sound that comes out along with the game sound. It is unbearable. It does not happen ALL the time but almost all of the time. Sometimes it does not even happen, but it usually does. It seems to start randomly. The only solution is to turn off Sensaura in surround sound settings, and that was M-Audio's solution in their website. I'm using Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra speakers but I get the sound with the speakers disconnected and only headphones, different headphones even. I've used it with different motherboards, CPUs, RAM, PSUs, even different home with different power company... it's the card. If I turn Sensaura off, however, I will lose some serious frames in some games. 'Tis not THAT bad of a problem, however, because music and movies sound FANTASTIC and I use headphones with the onboard audio for games.

I read somewhere that there were different versions of the card and that is why Newegg does not even call them Revolution 5.1 but some other name like M-AUDIO 9900-40906-00 5.1 Channels. What I would like to know is whether perhaps newer revisions of the card don't have the problem and I was hoping you could help.

Congrats on finally getting happy with your computer noise, I am, too, mostly due to what I've learned at SPCR!

chirphappy

Post by chirphappy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:00 pm

The Revolution 5.1 sounds great listening to music and watching SageTV. As far as gaming goes, I've tried Oblivion (only for a couple minutes), and I did not notice any of the scratchy sound you refer to. When/If I get the chance to game more extensively I will post with observations.

Back to the NeoHE, I would like to know if anyone can clarify that the "whoosh" I hear is just the regular fan noise of the PSU, or is it that the noise is echoing/amplifying off a wall that is about 4-5 inches away from the back of my NSK2400? I may be nitpicking here because my computer is barely audible as it is, but if i could get it to become practically inaudible then I will no longer feel the need to tweak.

geobrick

NEO HE 500 issue

Post by geobrick » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:09 pm

I have had some success with the NEO HE line in two PCs but now I have a problem.

I bought a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 MB with a Q6600 processor, 2 GB of corsair memory and a Gigabyte 8600 GTS video card. There are three hard drives and one LG DVD drive.

I originally built up the system with a 430 Watt Antec TruePower Trio and it all worked great. But when I tried it with my NEO HE-500, it would not start. Fans and hard drives spun up and then spun down then spun up and then down. This repeated until manually shut off the Power.

I tried various combos of loading the power supply (more devices, less devices, plugged the cables into different plugs on the PSU. Only putting the trio back in helped.

I am going to RMA the NEO-HE.

I noticed Antec is now selling something called the NEO-Power PSU. I wonder if this is a new design or just a repackaging of the old one.

►G1ЯΛFFE◄™

Re: NEO HE 500 issue

Post by â–ºG1ЯΛFFEâ—„â„¢ » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:20 am

geobrick wrote:I noticed Antec is now selling something called the NEO-Power PSU. I wonder if this is a new design or just a repackaging of the old one.
It's the same PSU, Antec even stated a while back on the site that they are changing the name of the series, and that the 380W will be discontinued I think(didn't get a name change)