snip PSU fan?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

snip PSU fan?

Post by klankymen » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:21 am

well, my PSU's been bugging me, it's now the loudest part of my comp since i 5v'd my vga fan.

so i went and opened it up and inside was a regular 80mm fan connected by a red and a black wire directly to the PCB of the PSU.

can i replace this fan somehow? can i just snip the fan wires and put a diff fan in its place/attach it to the 4pin PSU connector at 5v? or doesn't red and black wire mean its at 5v allready?

will my comp still start if i snip those, am i at any risk by doing it? risk of breaking my comp that is....

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:52 am

The red and black wires are 12v. and Ground. You can replace the fan by connecting a new quieter fan to that 2 wires, or as you said connect new fan to 4 pin molex outside PSU housing. The latter will, however, by pass the fan control function of your PSU - if your PSU has one such function. :wink:

If you want to do the second option, why not connecting fan through a fanmate - this will give you a broader range of voltage drop as per your need during different situation.

All the stickies on this forum is a must read, very good info there on safety, precaution, and various PSU fan swap techniques.

Be safe.

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:23 am

I have had a few PSUs that would not start unless there was a fan attached to its 'psu fan wire'

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:17 am

yeah, thats basically what i was worrying about.

so, would i be allright just chopping the wires, and if it didn't start just twisting or soldering them back together?

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:07 am

Definatly, thats what Ive done.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:14 am

shutting down to do that now.... wish me luck :D

EDIT: perfect, thanks for the help!

now the only thing audible (when drive isnt seeking) is my friggin 40mm vga fan. gotta hurry my butt up and get that zalman....