Panaflo in Antec TruPower?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

BaconTastesGood

Panaflo in Antec TruPower?

Post by BaconTastesGood » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:17 pm

Is it okay to replace the fans in a TruPower with Panaflos, or do they need a third lead?

aaronspink

Re: Panaflo in Antec TruPower?

Post by aaronspink » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:27 pm

BaconTastesGood wrote:Is it okay to replace the fans in a TruPower with Panaflos, or do they need a third lead?
Being in the process of taking apart a TruPower 380 and replacing the fans with an 80mm M1A and a 92mm L1A and having looked at the wiring internal to the power supply...

The third pin of the included 80mm fan does not connect inside the power supply. It is directly routed out as part of the cable harness to the motherboard fan connecter for monitoring. Therefore, you can remove it with no ill effects.

aaron

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:56 pm

Too late =)

I just kept the stock 80mm since the wiring looked like a pretty tight mess in there. I then removed the 92mm altogether. My system is a P3/1000 w/ 2 Maxtor HDDs, SLK-800 w/ 80mm L1A, 80mm L1A intake and some crappy compusa case. Everything is at stock 12V.

The vast majority of noise is now hard drive whine, which I can't do much about without spending a lot more money than I'd like. My system is almost never heavily loaded, so my temps under "typical use" are:

- 41 C CPU
- 37 C Case
- 44 C

Using MBM5. All very tolerable, just wish I had a Cuda IV instead.

hyum

Post by hyum » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:21 pm

if you find out in the future that you would like to quiet it down a little more, i can suggest replacing the 80mm with a lower RPM fan, (such as a panaflo L1A) with a 4-pin "molex" connector. for easy installation, don't try and connect the replacement fan to the same header, just bring it out with the rest of the power supply wiring and connected it to 5V (if you have enough case cooling) or to the 4-pin "molex" "fan-only" connector for temperature controlled fan control from the PS.

you can do the same thing with the 92mm fan and remove the 80mm fan as long as you block all the other intakes so that the PS exhaust air doesn't recycle back into the case. this is a little more quieter and pushes a little more air.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:40 pm

don't try and connect the replacement fan to the same header, just bring it out with the rest of the power supply wiring and connected it to 5V
Increasingly, I am of the opin that it is better to retain the fan controller system's ability to ramp voltage up when needed, if the fan spins quietly enough at nominal or idle. The Antec TP fan controllers all start at 5V and stay there to quite a high load (~100w) and any low speed fan like the Panaflo L will be very quiet. In this case, I think it is better to keep the PSU fan(s) within the PSU control circuit.

aaronspink

Post by aaronspink » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:25 pm

BaconTastesGood wrote:Too late =)

I just kept the stock 80mm since the wiring looked like a pretty tight mess in there. I then removed the 92mm altogether. My system is a P3/1000 w/ 2 Maxtor HDDs, SLK-800 w/ 80mm L1A, 80mm L1A intake and some crappy compusa case. Everything is at stock 12V.
Its actually not that bad to break out the fan wires. The main issue is to cut the zip ties that are holding the wiring harness in the power supply off and seperate the fan connectors. Re-zip tie later though.

Aaron