experiences with Delta GPS-350BB-101L w/ 12cm fan

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

argus

experiences with Delta GPS-350BB-101L w/ 12cm fan

Post by argus » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:55 am

its is a Delta manufactured, Chieftec branded power supply which i can buy at 60% of seasonic S12 price but i cannot find any info about it at all

does anyone have experiences with it or atleast knows what fan type is in it?
how does it compare to Fortron BlueStorm?

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:42 pm

Delta... big time OEM... hopefully no Delta fans. :D

The fan grill and mounting looks familiar. Going for a search.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:39 am

does anyone have experiences with it or atleast knows what fan type is in it?
I think the "BB" in the model number might mean it has a ball bearing fan, in which case it will be noisy. Delta are not known for making quiet fans. However you could always swap out the fan with somethign quieter (Nexus or Yate Loon 120mm).

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:09 pm

Greetings,

The presence of the voltage switch means no APFC, in all likelihood. Have you considered the Fortron "Green" PS line? They are a good bit less expensive than the S12's...

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:30 pm

The only review I could find is this one:

http://terasan.info/dengen/no069/index.html

I wouldn't worry about the heatsinks being puny because 120mm fans work so much better that they're OK -- even Fortron and Seasonic 120mm PSUs are like this.

I haven't experienced any loud Delta PSU fans, but their CPU fans have been another matter, and I wish AMD would switch to a different brand because practically and every boxed AMD CPU with a Delta fan vibrated annoyingly, as did the replacements AMD sent me, and a couple even squealed from lack of lube. The boxed Athlon XP1800s came with Coolermaster heatsinks, but when I bought the same heatsink at Fry's it had a Coolermaster fan that was noticeably quieter and didn't shake.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:49 am

I wouldn't worry about the heatsinks being puny because 120mm fans work so much better that they're OK -- even Fortron and Seasonic 120mm PSUs are like this.
Hmm, I wouldn't say Seasonic's heatsinks are 'puny'; they may not use as much metal as fanless PSU heatsinks but they tend to have quite a large surface area (important for cooling). Generally the bigger the heatsinks the better the PSU (in terms of cooling and noise).