The FUD about the NeoHE...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tomthebomb

The FUD about the NeoHE...

Post by tomthebomb » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:35 am

So is this PSU as junk as you guys make it sound? It seems almost alarmist how some of of you guys just attack it constantly, yet others praise it. I need a new PSU for my computer, currently an AMD A64 3500+ running an Epox NForce4 Ultra motherboard and an ATI X800XL.

I have no plans for SLi, but I do have plans for Dual Core.

I'm currently using an Ultra X-Connect 500, but I feel that it's a flimsy piece of junk, and I am afraid it's going to start a fire. It's not a good PSU at all. I don't really want to spend $129 for a Seasonic S12, but if I have to, I shall.

What do you guys think?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:55 am

It comes down to your motherboard. When it's running the NeoHE is a great PSU ... but it seems to be incompatible with a lot of motherboards. Go through the NeoHE User's Poll to see which models people are having problems with.

Oh, and Welcome to SPCR!!!!!!!!!!

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:58 am

I think that there are tons of threads about NEO HE already. I also think, that you when you interpret the Neo HE poll, you should keep in mind that many many people have recently registered to these forums to talk about NEO HE, or just plainly to contribute to the poll. So in light of failure procentage the Poll is pretty skewed.

Judging from your rig I would venture to guess that you'd have no problems with NEO HE, but you never know. I'd try to be neutral in this case, but with all the negative complaints I'm starting to lose my faith in NEO HE.

P.S Welcome to SPCR :)

tomthebomb

Post by tomthebomb » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:27 am

I'm mostly a gamer, so when I'm at my machine, it's probably at 100% load, meaning I need something with stable voltages. I've looked at the Antec TruePower series, and those seem like solid PSUs, but I have no idea of how quiet they are. I'd like to stay modular if possible, however. It keeps a big mess out of my way, which is very helpful.

Also, what would be a good fan to replace my 120mm stock fans in my Thermaltake Tsunami with? They're kind of loud, and the rear one is annoying because it glows blue.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:12 pm

The reviews from NewEgg tell a slightly different tale, with one user receiving a NeoHE power supply that failed to start four different Athlon 64-based machines. One particularly troubling fact: One of our own posters sent his NeoHE power supply back to Antec, understanding he would get a new one. The one he got had the same serial number, and still did not work. So it's reasonable to believe that Antec sent the same power supply back to a customer with nothing done to it, when the customer understood that he would be getting a repaired or replaced power supply. This is awful, awful, awful.

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:01 pm

How can a PSU be incompatible with a mobo if their connectors match up properly? Exactly what's happening with the NeoHE?

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:44 pm

The incompatibility would be in the current/voltage applied to the different rails. Also noise, and other issues on the lines.

I'm not a power engineer, but working with equipment, all power is not created equal.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:50 pm

Rory Buszka wrote:The reviews from NewEgg tell a slightly different tale, with one user receiving a NeoHE power supply that failed to start four different Athlon 64-based machines. One particularly troubling fact: One of our own posters sent his NeoHE power supply back to Antec, understanding he would get a new one. The one he got had the same serial number, and still did not work. So it's reasonable to believe that Antec sent the same power supply back to a customer with nothing done to it, when the customer understood that he would be getting a repaired or replaced power supply. This is awful, awful, awful.
Hardest part about dealing with this situation with them, is that it is damned near IMPOSSIBLE to get someone with ANY authority on the phone. It's always, 'I'll have to put you hold and ask" and 5 minutes later the nameless 'manager' renders a decision.

I understand management wants the grunts to keep them off the phone and away from the public, but when stuff like this (same PSU coming back), it sure would be nice to have a name and to talk to them (and crack their skull), instead of the poor sap on the line taking the heat.

Feel like you are running in quicksand sometimes.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:31 pm

tomthebomb wrote:I need something with stable voltages.. I'd like to stay modular if possible
Maybe the SmartPower 500W is what you're looking for.

Example SP-500W review

ddd

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:18 pm

id just go for the neoHE

allenlux

Post by allenlux » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:31 am

I agree that the NeoHE will work in some configurations. Mine failed to work in the system I'd originally planned it for, but is now working OK in a second system.

However, why expose yourself to this uncertainty? There are other PSUs of equivalent quality which work in all configurations. So unless you enjoy complaining, I'd suggest buying one of the alternatives.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:29 am

Here's what I think the best solution to the NeoHE would be: it should be used by system assemblers so that they can test if it will be incompatible or not, and put it in a different system if it is. Even those units that come with P150's. Antec should give special permission to ressellers to de-package p150's. And perhaps re-package it with P180s, not much harm in making it an option, as long as it's not the only option.

If altering the price of the case would be a problem, then they could swap them with smartpowers from sonata 2's or even SLK3800's: a safe option for those who want to avoid the issues, and a better deal on the lower end cases for those willing to work their way around the problems.