SilenX - whatever happened, and, repair of !

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Steerpike

SilenX - whatever happened, and, repair of !

Post by Steerpike » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:55 am

As many of you probably know, there was much hooplah about the SilenX 350 PSU back in 2003.

Well, I'm the proud owner of one of those original SilenX's and it has been wonderful. Last night, the fan died (my external temperature monitoring rig (DigitalDoc 5) beeped at me to tell me ... nice to see it adding some value after all these years!).

In looking at the latest articles and recommended product lists, I don't see it on the current list. Has it simply fallen from grace? Been supplanted by better models? In the recommended PSU list, 250-399 Watts, there's only the Seasonic S12-330, S12-380 (without a review) and the SFF Seasonic - slim pickings for sub 400 Watt PSUs. Is this because the Seasonic is so good? Or because there is now the fanless Silverstone?

Also, the fan has died in my PSU - the ahanix fan that everyone raved about. Is that available as a discreet part? ahanix - 825-15-20 .

I guess I'll buy the Silverstone fanless as a replacement ... sounds pretty awesome (no pun intended!).

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:14 am

I haven't checked, but it has probably been removed since it is based on old atx standards. Imo psus should hollow atleast ATX2.0 specs to be on the recommended list.

crypt0r

Post by crypt0r » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:36 pm

What a coincidence...mine died last night as well. I don't know if the fan died, but my PC just shut off suddenly and would not turn back on. I'm on a loaner PSU right now, so the SilenX is definitely dead. It probably had around 20,000 hours on it.

Not sure which PSU to buy now... :(

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 pm

In my case, the fan stopped, and the PSU heat level increased to the point where a digitalDoc5 sensor detected it, and beeped - but the PSU kept on running.

I pulled it apart (caution! internals store energy even after disconnecting!) and de-soldered the fan, put in a temporary one (crappy, noisy beast I'd ripped out of some device) and it's back in operation now, though noisy.

I'd love to buy another ahanix fan but can't see any for sale, and no mention whatsoever on the SPCR lists - so I guess I'll just buy a nexus or panaflo and be done with it - shame, given the raves this fan received back then.

Trekari

Post by Trekari » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:28 pm

I would stronglyrecommend against SilenX PSUs.

I owned their 550 version and mine died about a year and two months after my purchase, which of course is past their one-year warranty.

I'm disgusted with that fact, since I've never had a PSU fail on me before. Not to mention they are very expensive for what you actually get.

-Jas

Oklahoma Wolf

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:37 am

Trekari wrote:I owned their 550 version and mine died about a year and two months after my purchase, which of course is past their one-year warranty.
How hot did it run? SilenX takes Fortron PSU's and puts quiet fans in them... I've had misgivings for a while now about these fans' ability to keep the higher power units cool.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:22 am

I believe the 'SilenX' of today is different from the SilenX of old. When they first came out, everyone raved about them, including SPCR and many members. But soon after the release, there were some disputes at the company.

Today, there is a silenx web site, but they are touting fans and PSUs with names like 'Xtrema', 'Luxurae', etc. There is also a web site for ahanix, who labeled the fan in the PSU I had. On that website, they are still selling a PSU called 'SilenX', but the picture on the device shows a name of 'ahanix' where mine says 'silenx'.

This is the original SPCR review.

A further search of the SPCR site using google (silenx ahanix site:silentpcreview.com) reveals the whole sordid story ... which some day I'll try to read through!