Antec Aria PSU...... -61v on the -5v rail???

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

stupid

Antec Aria PSU...... -61v on the -5v rail???

Post by stupid » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:27 am

I just noticed a strange reading with my Aria's PPS. The -5v rail is being reported as -61v by my BIOSTAR M7NCG 400. Everything seems to run fine, I maxed out all the drive bays. I don't notice any instability at all. Since the PSU is proprietary, I can't just swap it out for another one.

Anyone else notice any strange readings from the Aria's PSU?

Yes, I am positive the reading is -61.xx volts, not -6.xx volts.

qviri

Post by qviri » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:37 am

Is -5V even used for anything anymore? Oh wait, that's -12V...

Still, I can't really see it being very necessary. If everything is stable, I wouldn't be concerned.

kenyee

-5V only used by ISA bus

Post by kenyee » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:26 am

Some older systems still monitor it.
I was freaked out when I had to replace a PSU in an older system and it had that bogus reading for -5V as well (the BIOS complained). On the same system, a fancy Seasonic S12-500 wouldn't power it up (turned out Seasonic doesn't support old systems any more).
Upon further research, I found that it's only used for the ISA bus which this system still had, but I had no cards in it, so it didn't matter...

ken

stupid

Post by stupid » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:20 pm

I've had the Aria for about 2 years now and this is the first time I've noticed the voltage reading. I can't image what would have caused such an incorrect reading especially since I never even flashed the BIOS.

But the good thing is that the system is stable, even when I undervolt my Athlon XP 2500+ down to 1.4v.