NeoHE gets loud after one minute

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jazzgossen

NeoHE gets loud after one minute

Post by jazzgossen » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 am

I recently bought an Antec P150 with a NeoHE 430 (which works great with my motherboard, an Abit NF7-S). The PSU starts out pretty much inaudible, but after about a minute, it ramps up to what I think is max speed, and makes quite a bit of noise.

Now, what are the best ways to control this behaviour? Has anybody else noticed it?

I can think of a few different options. Right now, the 120mm case fan is not connected. Is connecting that likely to help? Also, the power cables are connected together at the innermost sockets. Could spreading them out make a difference? I could also create a duct, to isolate the PSU from the CPU and the rest of the system.

Of course, I could try this out, but maybe someone here has an opinion about where to start.

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:28 am

the 120mm case fan is not connected. Is connecting that likely to help?
YES

Step 1: put the 12cm fan on L, and if the psu still ramps up too much:
Step 2: make the duct

jazzgossen

Post by jazzgossen » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:52 pm

Only problem is, the fan power connector doesn't fit. The manual says it should be a male power plug on the fan that should connect to the female 4-pin plugs coming from the PSU, but it's a female. Must be something wrong with my case... :(

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:44 pm

Turn the connector around ... it's a pass-through connector, so it should have a male and a female side.

hravn

Post by hravn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:59 pm

Maybe you should try running it outside the case, to see if it spins up even when it's not warm. Might be a defect. Seems weird that the case would get so hot after only a minute, but I guess it's possible.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:50 am

interesting, I haven't actually noticed mine ramping up at all, even after half an hour of half life 2. But I haven't extensively tested it, and it may be ramping up while I play, but masked by the turbulence from the exhaust fan, which I turn to high while gaming to cool the video card.

But maybe it really doesn't ramp up, since it is in the empty bottom p180 compartment for me, so the only heat in it is its own <20% generated heat

jazzgossen

Post by jazzgossen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:55 am

Aha... :oops:

OK, now the case fan is running, I have the side panel open and a rubber mat stuck between the motherboard and the PSU, which I guess should act as sort-of-a-duct. At least it isolates the PSU from the CPU. Looks like this:

The PSU fan still ramps up after a little while. Temperatures are 25 C and 37 C, not extremely high, right?

Is the NeoHE 430 running quietly for everyone else?

allenlux

Post by allenlux » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:35 am

Normally the NeoHE (when it's working) is extremely quiet - essentially inaudible. That's why I persist with mine despite its temperamental nature.

It sounds as if something is not right with your setup. Can you give more details of your hardware - and also the serial number of the NeoHE?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:55 pm

The NeoHEs normally run very quietly. They have never ramped up in idle in any system I built with it. Looking at your photo, you should do something about the cable management, maybe your intake is too restricted -- it's easy with the hooks on the other side of the HDD cage.

jazzgossen

Post by jazzgossen » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:20 am

The serial number of the PSU is S0509... (I don't remember the last digits, and i don't have it here). The warranty sticker looks broken.

The other hardware is Abit NF7-S (v2.0) motherboard, Athlon XP 2500+ running at around 1950 MHz, nVidia GeForce 6600 GT graphics card, two SATA hard drives, one IDE hard drive, floppy, one DVD writer, an extra network card.

I contacted Antec, and they said there might be smoething wrong with the PSU, and that I should return it to the vendor. Doing that is a big pain, but maybe that's still the best option.

jazzgossen

Post by jazzgossen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:41 am

So, I returned the power supply and got a new one, and the problems are gone. The new PSU is very quiet and good. Hooray!

bigfatal

Post by bigfatal » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:35 pm

I'm glad your new PS was better. Also, I couldn't help but notice that almost a month had passed since your last post. Did the RMA process take that long?

Thanks,

AL