Dell sneezed (anti-buzz goop?) on their PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Brian

Dell sneezed (anti-buzz goop?) on their PSU

Post by Brian » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:34 pm

Picture: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/T ... ronPSU.jpg

This is a Dell PSU from roughly 1998. See the white goop all over the coils and those blue caps on the right. Conclusions: Dell cares about PSU buzz, and white goop all over your PSU works.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:10 am

where on earth do u get the idea that this goop is what stops coil whine?

..i had similar goop on a PSU that came with a £10 case, so its definately nothing luxury.. i've heard it was thermal goop but think it may also be just a glue (aswell?)

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:56 am

The goop is not there for noise purposes but for vibration reduction. Powersupplies tend to go through much more exhaustive vibration testing, the goop is there to dampen vibrations to prevent creep failure.

If you want to goop your own powersupply, RTV is a pretty good way to go.

high5

Post by high5 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:00 pm

mb2 wrote:where on earth do u get the idea that this goop is what stops coil whine?
there are multiple reports around the web that people who had chokes on their mobo's squeal solved their problems by actually hot gluing the chokes.

that's the case b/c chokes actually make that sounds by vibrating most likely as a result of interaction (electrical, of course) with some other component in the system.

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:41 pm

It looks like the goop Delta uses.

I've read that the best way to reduce coil buzz is to remove the coil and soak it in warm varnish, preferrably in a vacuum chamber so it seeps in deeply.