Anyone heard of this brand? Thanks for Hijacking: Resolved

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

fastturtle

Anyone heard of this brand? Thanks for Hijacking: Resolved

Post by fastturtle » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:00 am

I'm looking at an iStarUSA-TC650PD2 EPS unit for a new build and I'm wondering about their quality.

Only reason I selected this over a comparable FSP brand is the unavailibility of anything in excess of 600 watts plus the specs state (4) 12 volt rails instead of the standard (2) 12 volt rails in the FSP Brands and the inclusion of Active PFC.

I'm very pleased with everyone who feels they have to chime in about the non/benefits of PFC when My question goes unanswered and since it looks as though I wont be able to get any answer to the Question, I guess I'll just have to go with the unit and see for myself but DO NOT expect me to share my impressions unless it's a POS. :x
Last edited by fastturtle on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

burebista

Post by burebista » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:26 pm

Active/passive PFC is useless for home user, so I'd say to go for FSP.

fastturtle

Post by fastturtle » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:10 pm

1st Off, I'll start by asking everyone to please read all of this information before responding as the question :?: is "Has Anyone Heard/know about iStar-USA Power Supplies?"

This PSU is an :!: EPS style unit. NOT an ATX style and is not used in a Home System but for Servers.

As I stated in the OP. It's an EPS PSU.

The comment about active PFC appears to have caused someone to open mouth before engaging brain. The main reason I'm looking at this is the availability of (4) 12 volt rails instead of the standard (2) that's available on the FSP brands. Also with the exception of the Aethena brand, the other FSP models do not have sufficient wattage for the planned usage, which is in a High End Workstation.

I'm not debating the Quality of the FSP brand, nor do I care about if anyone's personal feeling is that they're the greatest or POS brand out there. All I'm interested in is what does anyone know about the iStar-USA brand. :)

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:42 am

burebista wrote:Active/passive PFC is useless for home user, so I'd say to go for FSP.
Help your local electric company: use PFC!

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Anyone heard of this brand? Thanks for Hijacking: Resolv

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:12 am

fastturtle wrote:I'm looking at an iStarUSA-TC650PD2 EPS unit for a new build and I'm wondering about their quality.
There's probably no reviews because it is an industrial application PSU. I am not positive it has Active PFC -- does it? The company's spec page seems to suggest there are two voltage ranges.

No efficiency spec is given. The low 0.5A min 12V load requirement suggests the efficiency is not high, but this is just a conjecture.

There's also no info about combined power -- ie, what's the total combined 12V current capacity? It's always lower than the sum of the individual lines, but you never know how much lower. This would give a good idea of how realistic their 650W rating is.

FYI, some of the highly recommended (by SPCR) ATX12V PSUs are also EPS12V compliant -- like the Seasonic S12-600, for example.

This is also true of many very high power PSU models from other brands. The main reason is because the ATX12V guide does not address multiple output lines for the 6-pin PCIe graphics card needed for multi-VGA card systems. EPS12V does.