PSU for an Antec P180

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Snyper

PSU for an Antec P180

Post by Snyper » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:36 am

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been posted before, but a search of the forums and the links in the FAQ provided no firm answer.

I recently bought an Antec P180 case to replace my old beige tower that had developed a rather nasty rattle. As part of the upgrade I got myself a Hiper 580w PSU, only to find that when installing it, it didn't fit with the lower 120x38mm fan still there.

Since I want to house 2 x SATA drives in the lower chamber/tray which will be used as server drives, keeping them nice and cool is important, so this means keeping the lower fan installed.

My question is, can anyone recommend a decent 450-500w PSU that has cables long enough to connect to a DFI Lan Party motherboard installed in the case, that will not have an issue with cables sticking out too far (and thus getting in the way of the fan) and is relatively silent.

At the moment, I've been looking at the Antec TruePower 2 and the Seasonic S12 500w, but I've not heard much about the former and one of the comments I read in a thread here (I think) was that the cables on the S12 weren't long enough when fitted in this case.

Any recommendations you might be able to give me will be greatly appreciated.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:42 am

The S12 series have been revamped with longer cables that will probably work fine. Look for the ones that advertise sleeved cables and 6-pin VGA card power pin even for the lower powered models.

A 430 is plenty enough power BTW. Just make sure you block off the extra vent holes around the PSu at the back of the case. You can also just remove the fan in the PSU chamber -- not needed unless you're going to have all 4 drive slots filled or use a fanless PSU.

fritzdis

Post by fritzdis » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:00 pm

If using the lower chamber fan (I am going to fill all 4 drive slots), would a power supply with the air intake facing the chamber fan (e.g., Antec NeoHE or SmartPower 2.0) provide a significant advantage over the S12?

cmthomson

Re: PSU for an Antec P180

Post by cmthomson » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:06 am

Snyper wrote:I recently bought an Antec P180 case to replace my old beige tower that had developed a rather nasty rattle. As part of the upgrade I got myself a Hiper 580w PSU, only to find that when installing it, it didn't fit with the lower 120x38mm fan still there.

Since I want to house 2 x SATA drives in the lower chamber/tray which will be used as server drives, keeping them nice and cool is important, so this means keeping the lower fan installed.
I use an Antec Phantom 500, which is also large, and runs passive. If you need 8-pin 12V AUX rather than 4-pin, you might need an extension cable.

I replaced the 38mm fan with a 25mm and everything fits. Either buy a Nexus (or other fine brand), or swap with the back or top case fan. I replaced all the P180 fans to get a quieter system.

jtgameover

Post by jtgameover » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:13 pm

MikeC wrote:The S12 series have been revamped with longer cables that will probably work fine. Look for the ones that advertise sleeved cables and 6-pin VGA card power pin even for the lower powered models.

A 430 is plenty enough power BTW. Just make sure you block off the extra vent holes around the PSu at the back of the case. You can also just remove the fan in the PSU chamber -- not needed unless you're going to have all 4 drive slots filled or use a fanless PSU.
does anyone know when this "revamping" occurred? or more specifically, are the ones shown on Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151024 and on Zipzoomfly http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=271603 this new version with longer cables and sleeves? It's hard for me to tell, since they're still the same name and model...

and i've read about issues with a DFI ultra nF4 motherboard... does that still exist, or was it fixed with this revision?[/url]