A Seasonic or a Hiper?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

WHICH PSU SHOULD I GET?

Hiper 580w Type R Modular
5%
Seasonic S12-430
95%

Total votes: 21

Zain

A Seasonic or a Hiper?

Post by Zain » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:05 pm

I need a new quiet psu so im down to 2 choices:

1. Hiper 580w Type R (modular)
2. Seasonic S12-430

#The hiper because i heard it quiet and i love the looks and modular cables idea.

#Seasonic because i don't need so much power but its recommended by SPCR.

So which one should i get? Please help!

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:09 pm

I voted Seasonic. Other than the modular cables, Hiper doesn't have much going for it. The looks won't be important once you put it in a case, and while you might have heard that the Hiper is quiet, we know the Seasonic is.

Is there a difference in price?

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:56 pm

I'm voting with qviri on this one - same reasons!

stupid

Post by stupid » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:23 pm

Ditto with #2 & #3

narrasuj

Post by narrasuj » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:06 pm

stupid wrote:Ditto with #2 & #3
I suppose saying it again would just be redundant? I agree b/c as I've come to believe, very few systems need that much wattage.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:14 pm

Buying a PSU or anything else for that matter based on looks is the worst thing you could possibly do.

Zain

Post by Zain » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:55 pm

Yeah i suppose you guys are right. I mean im not JUST going on looks the reason i considered it against a Seasonic is because i heard it was quiet various reviews and customer comments.

So if it comes down to both psu's being dead silent im willing to pay that little extra to get that extra flash, it'll look slick in my window side panel thinggy!

The PSU i buy will be moved into my primary computer should i later choose to upgrade my pc in the future so its in for the long haul!

The Seasonic is cheaper by the way.

Any chance SPCR are going to review the Hiper PSU in the future?

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:14 pm

A mention of the Hiper on SPCR lead me to this thread, which lead me to this review.

You know a product is not SPCR material when an ordinary website says it's "quite loud".

If the Seasonic is cheaper, I would really go for it. I know SPCR hasn't reviewed the Hiper. However, if Hiper wanted to truthfully market this as a quiet product, they would have stood on their heads to get one to SPCR so they can show off their quietness. The two quietest power supply lines SPCR knows about are the Seasonic S12 and the Antec NeoHE -- period.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:15 pm

Zain wrote:Any chance SPCR are going to review the Hiper PSU in the future?
Never seen one even advertised anywhere in US or Canada...

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:02 pm

MikeC wrote:
Zain wrote:Any chance SPCR are going to review the Hiper PSU in the future?
Never seen one even advertised anywhere in US or Canada...
www.Frozencpu.com :)

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:56 am

qviri wrote:A mention of the Hiper on SPCR lead me to this thread, which lead me to this review.
From the review:
"The efficiency could have been better and the PFC noise was quite loud at high loads."

Exactly how does PFC make noise? It is not good to see that reviewing sites seem to have absolutely no clue about what they are doing.

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:00 am

Ackelind wrote:Exactly how does PFC make noise?
Some users report that the choke (inductor) used for "passive" PFC can vibrate, causing audible noise. I don't know anything about that; I'm just repeating what has been reported elsewhere.

Zain

Post by Zain » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:49 am

Thanks Ryan, yeah you can get them from Frozen CPU, Newegg and various other online retailers. Hiper is a UK based company that probabiliy why you might not have been many of them advertised.

tango charlie

Post by tango charlie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:09 pm

I have that Seasonic PSU, and the only downside is that it's so quiet, you'll realize how much noise all your other components are making. The cabling is not too hard to tuck away if your case has room for it.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:27 pm

Zain wrote:Yeah i suppose you guys are right. I mean im not JUST going on looks the reason i considered it against a Seasonic is because i heard it was quiet various reviews and customer comments.

So if it comes down to both psu's being dead silent im willing to pay that little extra to get that extra flash, it'll look slick in my window side panel thinggy!

The PSU i buy will be moved into my primary computer should i later choose to upgrade my pc in the future so its in for the long haul!

The Seasonic is cheaper by the way.

Any chance SPCR are going to review the Hiper PSU in the future?
Seasonic is one of the best PSU manufactures out there, not even taking noise into the factor. Hiper is really just a marketing company at heart; somebody else is building the actual core electronics of the PSU for them so it can be tough to know what you are really getting sometimes.

From what I understand the higher powered Hipers are really just average quality while the lower powered units are just junk. Considering the Seasonic is cheaper it should be a pretty easy choice.

Zain

Post by Zain » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:08 pm

Ok so i've given up on the Hiper.

The last contender before the order is placed is the Akasa 460w, its had great reviews all round:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Produ ... sa_P460FG/
(Reviews links are under “Recent Updates”)

One site even says:

"- Is it silent?
Yes, the MAX noise generated from the PSU during our tests dribbled around 23-27dbC [ 25cm from the fan rotor ] "

Considering he’s got his ear jammed up next to the PSU on a fully load that anit half bad.

So what are your thoughts?

GHz

Post by GHz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:47 pm

Zain,

I would take all those positive "reviews" with a very large grain of salt. Their testing methodology is amatuer at best... certainly nothing like SPCR. Your best bet is to go with a power supply recommended by SPCR for high efficiency and low-noise. Seasonic is one of them.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:31 pm

Any other review links? NeoSeeker has drilled its way into my brain as one of the worst review sites out there.