questions: Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

RaptorZX3

questions: Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat May 13, 2006 1:45 am

i have an Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W that came with my Sonata 2, i wanted to know something.

for those who plugged the 3-wires on the board, experienced full-speed dual-fans of the power-supply AND monitored the speed of them, is that the maximum speed they can go? and how fast is that? (in RPM as usual)

cos normally, at cold boot, speed goes to around 900 with only intake running, then after a while, with regular temps inside the comp, it goes up to around 1150-1250rpm sometimes with both fans running.

oh yes, another thing, is it possible to monitor the temperature of the power supply with the help of the ATX connector(s)? (i mean by this is the monitoring is taken from 1 or more wires of the connector(s) and then you can see that temp in Speedfan)

questions:
1- what is the maximum (100%) fans speeds of that PSU?
2- is that possible to monitor temp. of the PSU in Speefan?
3- is 1200rpm for both fans good enough for that power supply?

...i may have more questions soon though. :?

thanks for answering my questions!

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Sat May 13, 2006 4:37 pm

1. Fastest I've monitored is ~1350 rpm (both fans).. with case fans on low while gaming. No issues.

2. Nope.. but I have thermistors on intake and exhaust. Highest was ~40C
intake. Exhaust is generally lower. Go figure.

3. Yes

ddd

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat May 13, 2006 5:59 pm

for answer 2, i have another question that you'll maybe be unable to answer...

in Speedfan, i have a temp. that normally go from 38-40 degrees and when i'm in a game, it goes up to 50-53 degrees. So IF you said i can't monitor the temp. of my power supply unless i install thermistors by myself, what would be that temp. exactly?

Can it be the socket temp. or something?

i have, in Speedfan:
-Board temp.
-CPU temp.
-CPU2? temp. (the temp i dunno where it come from, for now)
-SATA HDD temp.

my processor is a single-core Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 939.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Sun May 14, 2006 1:40 pm

The temp increase is typical of the processor. I would venture to say it's a nearby board sensor (under the CPU). Are the temps close?

Case temp range should only be a few degrees while gaming unless the case fans are set on low, but would never go that high.

ddd

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sun May 14, 2006 2:23 pm

ok....my main board is Asus A8V-E SE

i have my 120mm tri-cool rear fan set on medium speed, which is a good enough speed if you ask me, because at high speed, the computer sound like the engine of an airplane

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:48 pm

oh hey, i just noticed they sell heat-sinks for North Bridge chipsets on main boards!

i went to the VIA website to see if they have infos about the temperatures, and they says the for safe operations, temperature should be 55 degrees (Celcius) or lower.

can it be possible that SpeedFan detected my VIA K8T890 North Bridge temperature?