Minibox PW200M and a 24 PIN ATX Mobo Connector, Am I hosed?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Woodykak
-- Vendor --

Minibox PW200M and a 24 PIN ATX Mobo Connector, Am I hosed?

Post by Woodykak » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:20 pm

I ordered the PW200M and planned to use it with a Delta 220 Watt Power Brick. I'm using a Asus N4L-VM Core Duo Mobo.

Mobo has a 24 pin ATX connector, and the Minibox PSU has a 20. Any way to get this to work?

I'm using an Ahanix MCE-601 Case. The stock PSU is proprietary, and too loud.

Thanks for any help.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:20 am

Mobo has a 24 pin ATX connector, and the Minibox PSU has a 20. Any way to get this to work?
You can get a 20-24 pin converter cable, but most of the time it's not necessary, the 20-pin male connector fits into the 24-pin mobo socket and normally works, IIRC the extra 4 pins supply power to the PCI-E bus, so if you have a powerful GFX card this may not work.

Woodykak
-- Vendor --

Post by Woodykak » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:13 am

Hmmm. Nothing plugged into either of the PCI-E slots. I did try to power the system with the 20 pin connector plugged into the mobo. When I pushed the power button, the CPU Cooler fan kicks, but does not spin all the way up.
I then unplugged both hard disks (minimum bootable configuration). System still would not start.
I then called Mini-box. They told me that this PSU is not compatible with this mobo, and that this PSU is for use with mini-atx mobos only.
Not sure why this should not work with a 20 - 24 pin converter. Will try that next...