High pitch noise from Antec Phantom 500 when computer off ?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

TheCow

High pitch noise from Antec Phantom 500 when computer off ?

Post by TheCow » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:10 pm

My Antec Phantom 500 power supply is making a high pitch noise when the computer is off. It is a very faint high pitch sound but I can still hear it . I am expecting that is has to be completely silent when the computer is off. Do I have a faulty one ?

Thank you for your support.

DanW

Post by DanW » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:03 am

Do you get anything like this sound from any other power supplies?

Funnily enough, I get a high pitched noise when it's turned on...

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:03 pm

DanW wrote:Do you get anything like this sound from any other power supplies?

Funnily enough, I get a high pitched noise when it's turned on...
PSU's (and motherboards) have coils which have high-frequency currents and voltages going through them, if the coil is not wound properly the coil can vibrate at the operating frequency (or harmonics of it) which can sometimes fall into the audible range (roughly 20-20,000 Hz).

wiki-PSU
SMPSs, with their much higher operating frequencies, are not usually audible to humans (unless they have a fan, in the case of most computer SMPSs). A malfunctioning SMPS may generate high-pitched sounds, since they do in fact generate acoustic noise at the oscillator frequency.
Sometimes non-conductive gunk (like silicone) can stop the coils vibrating.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:30 pm

Does the noise go away when you switch the PSU off, and does is come back as soon as you flick the switch back on.??? Does in=t make a noise if you leave it turned off for 30mins then swith it on.

Andy

TheCow

Post by TheCow » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:35 am

Yes, it does. When I switch the PSU off the high pitch noise is gone but the noise come back as soon as I switch the PSU on even after I turn it off for more than 30 minutes.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:49 am

Might be something to do with the +5vsb line, which is on even when the PSU is off but still connected to mains power.

strangedezign

non conductive gunk

Post by strangedezign » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:44 pm

I am having a similar problem. There is a high pitch noise coming from the PSU whenever turned on. After turning it off the noise will slowly fade out over about 30 seconds. Anyways, can you tell me more about this non conductive gunk? How to aquire/apply etc. This is driving me crazy.

zenboy

Post by zenboy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:08 pm

I just used a hot glue gun to goober a line across some coil windings, which helped quiet down a cheap power supply I was using that would chatter under load.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:16 am

I am no hot-glue-gun expert but I think that is dangerous, I would imagine that the hot glue will slow-burn over time and change somehow, potentially causing a fire.

Does anyone know if this is possible.???

Andy

Ryan Norton
Patron of SPCR

Post by Ryan Norton » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:32 am

Got the same problem here with an Antec Smartpower 350w PSU in a cheapo PC I built for my parents. Three different states:

1. PSU plugged in to household AC but switched OFF: no whine.
2. PSU plugged in and switched on but PC not turned on: whine.
3. PSU plugged in, PC running: whine not audible but may still be there.

chronicidiot

Post by chronicidiot » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:27 am

Getting the same noise from my Antec 400W.

Is this a serious problem? I build my computer about 4 months ago and the noise just showed up now.

Does anybody think I should just contact Antec because the PS its still under warranty.

bokonon

me too

Post by bokonon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:41 pm

Same thing for me with an Antec Smartpower II 350 Watt... For me the noise is REALLY noticeable even when the computer is on. It stays on indefinitely after the computer is off, but goes away if the PSU is unplugged and doesn't come back when plugged back in but not on...

I'm wondering if anyone has tried getting warrenty service from ANTEC. I'm assuming that they'll take care of it, but I wonder how long it will take...

chronicidiot wrote:Getting the same noise from my Antec 400W.

Is this a serious problem? I build my computer about 4 months ago and the noise just showed up now.

Does anybody think I should just contact Antec because the PS its still under warranty.

StrongSilentType

Post by StrongSilentType » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:32 pm

I got the same power supply, it was making that noise even when the computer is off after I got it for about 6 months I think.

At first it would make that noise for about a minute and then it would stop; but then the noise it makes gets longer and longer, and then it never stop making the noise ... and then it stop working. It did all this for about a month.

The return takes about 2-3 weeks (a few days to get to Antec, a week for Antec to do nothing, and a week to ship back). So plan ahead if it's in your primary computer.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:21 pm

Ryan Norton wrote: 1. PSU plugged in to household AC but switched OFF: no whine.
when i switch the power on behind the PSU while my power bar is turned on, i don't hear the whine from number 2.

i think i have a very good surge suppresor too, APC SurgeArrest, model PF11VT3.

bitpoh

Post by bitpoh » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:44 pm

RaptorZX3 wrote:
Ryan Norton wrote: 1. PSU plugged in to household AC but switched OFF: no whine.
when i switch the power on behind the PSU while my power bar is turned on, i don't hear the whine from number 2.

i think i have a very good surge suppresor too, APC SurgeArrest, model PF11VT3.
The whine is there even when the PC is running alright -- I had the same problem with the TruePower PSU in my Overture II case. The culprit turns out to be a pair of bad capacitors (visibly bulging and leaking) on the PSU circuit board. See my posting in the other thread for more info:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32749

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:05 am

maybe i just have to dust-off the fans and the inside of the PSU with a can of compressed air? maybe the tiny sound is only due to dust, dunno...

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:22 am

My antec phantom 500w:

* Makes a high pitched noise when turned off (on the 5volt standby).

* Stops making this noise when i tap the Hs of the psu with my finger. Then starts again after a while.

* Turns on the computer randomly after being turned of for a few hours. (you see the neonlight on the psu flicker and the fans start then stop spinning than the psu comes alive). It then doesn't load properly into Windows and the video card doesn't send any signal and I have to turn it of from AC completely.

This is my second Phantom failing on me and I have no more tolerance for Antec psus. They might have super duper mega excellent rma service but it's still amazing how they seem to let so many bad psus go through their testing. :roll:

It has been doing this all the time but I can't send it back because when I burned in my components in another case I taped on a 120 fan across the top of the psu. When I removed the fan after all the burn ins the tape also ripped of the waranty label.

MY FAULT there but I'm still anoyed about Antecs quality control. Which shouldn't leave it's job to the consumer... As long as this doesn't change I can't let a Antec psu get near my rig I'm afraid, cause this worries me about the phantom being a latent firestarter as it behaves really strange when does it's "auto booting" routine. And as this is the second one failing on me it doesn't seem to be a safe psu. This might be a low risk but I'm not taking any chances on fires...

The phantom is also one of the more expensive psus on the market.

Fool me once... fool me twice...

I think I'm going Seasonic now...

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:41 am

This is my second Phantom failing on me and I have no more tolerance for Antec psus. They might have super duper mega excellent rma service but it's still amazing how they seem to let so many bad psus go through their testing.
Very true, I shudder to think how many RMA's it is if you add up all the Phantom and NeoHE returns. Apart from anything it must be hitting their bottom line, multiple RMAs (as happened w/ NeoHE) are not cheap; do they even have a QC department? :?

bitpoh

Post by bitpoh » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:35 pm

jaganath wrote:
This is my second Phantom failing on me and I have no more tolerance for Antec psus. They might have super duper mega excellent rma service but it's still amazing how they seem to let so many bad psus go through their testing.
Very true, I shudder to think how many RMA's it is if you add up all the Phantom and NeoHE returns. Apart from anything it must be hitting their bottom line, multiple RMAs (as happened w/ NeoHE) are not cheap; do they even have a QC department? :?
Doesn't seem to me like Antec has acknowledged any QA/QC issues with their PSUs despite all the RMAs. Think the Overture II's probably gonna be my first and last Antec purchase.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:09 pm

I fell better knowing that you guys don't think I'm too hard on Antec. I REALLY liked the idea about the Phantom and I held on to it as long as my sanity would let me. Too bad it didn't work out...

I should say that I also like the company becuase they dare to take risks with original products like the p180. And I hope they keep that spirit. :)

Antec should learn from this if they want to sell me a psu in the future.

* They need better investigation routines under these circumstancies. I heard that Toyota has a good model :idea: (And I'm not refering to the espionage on Ferrari ;))
* Make psus from the start that will have a low risk of these problems. Keep away from bad capacitors, coils, look over the assembly routines etc.
* And of course a better QC :!:

Thanks...

mg785

Post by mg785 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:03 am

Just wanted to chime in here since the thread is still current...

I suspected my PSU failed/was failing so I purchased the Antec Smartpower 500W unit. I liked the idea of the modular connectors and I thought Antect was the brand.

It works fine but the high pitched squealing is unbearable. Reviews on several online merchants also mention the squealing problem with this unit. However, it seems to be a brand-wide affliction.

It's absolutely bizarre the way the noise changes pitch and amplitude when the system is taxed. Additionally, the electronic noise I hear when I put on my headphones is much louder now than it was with my old PSU.

I'm done with Antec. I HATE the idea of breaking down the system, returning the squealer, and purchasing a replacement but I hate that darn sound even more.

proxima_stevej

Antec Phantom 500

Post by proxima_stevej » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:17 am

I have a similar problem with my Phantom 500. I installed it Wednesday night and everything seemed fine. Today it started the high pitched unbearable sound that has been mentioned here. It lasted for about 5 minutes and then stopped. During this process I took the case cover off, had a look around and couldn't see any obvious problems with fans or anything. Just as I was about to put the cover back on the case it started again. I logged a call with Antec and then it stopped again for no apparent reason.

As described it also changed pitch at least once during this episode.

To me it sounds like the kind of sound you get with unshielded equipment that is exposed to sources of possible interference.

Steve