can i still trust my phantom?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

madman2003

can i still trust my phantom?

Post by madman2003 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:51 am

Beginning of this week my psu (seemingly) and mainbord died. A little while ago i just did the final test and it powered a 12cm fan again it failed to power a few days ago.

The phantom 350 was hot when i got it out of the computer and i waited several hours for it to return to ambient temperature to do the "last" test. It started for a split second and then shut down. Now it works again, but can i trust it or should i rma it with long term usage problems (i need to rma a mainbord anyway and it can wait a while if needed, because i already replaced the components).

Is there any way to get into semi-direct contact with someone at antec about the likelyhood that my psu is still ok. It's a year old(2005 model) and has run reliably up till then. I have serious questions if the supplier (which i will never use again) will accept anything that isn't visibly/"instantly" broken (i have poor experience with them in that area).

Any advice?

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:58 am

If you're in the US 1-800-222-6832.

Or you can use:

http://www.antec.com/newticket.html

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:48 am

Alternatively, for equally reliable information, you could try - www.psychicfriendsnetwork.net/psychic-readings.html

madman2003

Post by madman2003 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:51 am

Nice joke, but someone must know what is needed for the overtemperature protection to reset?

If overheating phantoms are likely to blow up mainbords.

If component degradation is an issue after these kinds of events and at this age?

I know there can be no certainty, but i'm not the only one with a phantom.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:19 am

I would do some research on phantom problems starting with the reliability poll. Then contact antec with some facts if you want a replacement. I didn't mean to make light of your situation as I know it's frustrating to have to return a defective product. Hopefully, someone can address the over temperature protection directly.

Similar problem -
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... antom+poll

Oleg Artamonov

Post by Oleg Artamonov » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:31 pm

madman2003 wrote:If overheating phantoms are likely to blow up mainbords
"After that" doesn't mean "owing to that". I mean, for example, if you case doesn't have enough cooling/ventilation, it may lead to motherboard overheating (e.g., MOSFETs in VRM must be cooled with air flow) AND psu overheating at the same time.
If component degradation is an issue after these kinds of events and at this age?
Component degradation is an issue of high temperatures -- first of all, electrolytic capacitors will lose their capacitance. But usually it doesn't result in any fatal damage, only unstable work, especially in cold environment (air temperature less than 20C, cold-start and so on).

And I don't think that there are any problems with you Phantom. You can start it without motherboard (connect the green wire in PSUs motherboard power connector with the black one) and check output voltages with multimeter.