Antec SP 450 PSU noises

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

cliffhucker

Antec SP 450 PSU noises

Post by cliffhucker » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:22 pm

I built a system off a Antec Sonata II case that came with a SP450w PSU back in March. I started to notice a very faint low freguency clunking noise that I originally thought was my HDD. But after months of haunting me I dove in deeper and was able to hear it from the PSU. It was not consistent nor was it very loud. However, when the tv and everything was off at night it was the only sound I could hear over my fans.

I just got a replacement from Antec and it sounds fine except I can hear it when I shove my ear up to the case. So it is not as bad but am wondering if it will progress.

has anyone else had or heard of this problem?

I read this post:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32749

and noticed that mg2plus had a ASUS A8N-E mobo. which I have also.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

StrongSilentType

Post by StrongSilentType » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:23 pm

I got the same PSU, take a look at this topic:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=31497

There was also another topic about the same noise from Antec, but I can't find it (in another sub-forum) ... don't think it has anything to do with motherboards though.

There's a work-around by turning off the PC, but that's makes me :x (that's the worst mad icon :p)

cliffhucker

Antec SP450 noises

Post by cliffhucker » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:52 am

StrongSilentType,

thanks for the reply.

Are the "ticking" noises you get high or low frequency/pitch type?
It sounds like you may have been getting something different?

I emailed Antec asking them if they thought it was normal and they did not even answer, they just want me to RMA again? They must know something is wrong.

I suppose I may start looking for anotrher option. Any suggestions for a solid/quiet PSU.

Thanks,
cliffhucker

StrongSilentType

Post by StrongSilentType » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:33 pm

Well, the noise sounds like a hard drive seek, a little sharper than hitting a wooden table with finger nails.

I had returned one before, it also made that noise (it died after it starts to make constant high pitch noises even when the computer is off).

As for good PSUs, I'm pretty new here, but the Seasonics are generally well like here.