Replacement PSU for Chyang Fun Minicube Mini-ITX case?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

allenlux

Replacement PSU for Chyang Fun Minicube Mini-ITX case?

Post by allenlux » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:34 am

I've used this case for a home server since 2003, using a Via Epia Mini-ITX motherboard. The PSU fan failed in 2004 and I replaced it with a new third-party fan. Now the whole PSU has failed and I'm wondering how to replace it.

The PSU is a completely non-standard shape and size, and apparently not readily available - in fact even the MiniCube case seems to have disappeared from the market. Here are some pictures:

Any ideas...
...where to buy one?
...what to replace it with?

One idea I had was the PicoPSU. This got a favourable review here (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article601-page1.html). It would have the advantage of making the server box completely fanless, but when the cost of the 12v supply plus shipping from the UK is included it's quite an expensive solution - considerably more than the original case, in fact.

For the time being I'm running the server off a conventional ATX PSU, with the power cables run through the hole in the back of the server case. It's not pretty but it works, and I'm wondering whether to convert this into some kind of permament solution. The server box can then be fanless and ATX PSU noise can be reduced in the usual ways.

John

dw!

minicube psu

Post by dw! » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:48 am

I have the same problem - but the psu is completely missing. Can you tell me the exact dimensions of your psu? Did you find a source for a replacement?

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:03 am

An idea that I have is that you could buy a very small PSU and then take the board out and with a drill and some screws mount it inside that psu case. Or just mount it inside your computer case.

dw!

Post by dw! » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:33 am

Something like a Morex or picoPSU? Problem is the cost - in order to run a full size CD drive you'd need to spend maybe €100. Could you measure your psu for me, if you still have it? I know where the holes are on the case (obviously!) but I don't know how far the psu used to stick out into the case.

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:57 am

In the same thread on ars, allen quotes the size as HxWxD = 85x140x55 mm.

allenlux

Post by allenlux » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:16 pm

Sorry about the delay in responding. Yes, as qviri says, the dimensions are HxWxD = 85x140x55 mm.

I never found a proper replacement, so I bought a PicoPSU -120W version. It cost real money but I figured that I could re-use it later in another case. The original Chyang Fun MiniCube case only fits the EPIA 5000-type boards, so at some point the case may have to be retired.