Nesteq Nova

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

kkzz

Nesteq Nova

Post by kkzz » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:27 am

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:07 pm

Hello,

Interesting concept, and except for the extra box and cables (PC's are already so cluttered with wires...), it makes sense to have it outside the case, so it can actually get some decent passive cooling.

Expensive.

KorruptioN

Post by KorruptioN » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:44 am

kkzz

Post by kkzz » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:39 am

Good job finding the review, I couldn't find one anywhere. Looks like a solid performer but I'd like to see an SPCR review and that wiring does look a mess not to mention the price

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:19 am

Is actually IS available here in sweden, which surprises me.

It is expensive though. About the same price as the M12 600W.. or the price I had to pay for a Phantom 350W. This silencing bug is really killing me economically... sigh.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:29 am

Ackelind wrote:Is actually IS available here in sweden, which surprises me.

It is expensive though. About the same price as the M12 600W.. or the price I had to pay for a Phantom 350W. This silencing bug is really killing me economically... sigh.
IMO silencing doesn't have to be expensive. If your hard drives aren't enclosed, an efficient PSU (SS S12) with a very quiet fan (a la Nexus/Yate Loon) will be below the noise floor of the hard drives.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:53 am

It doesn't have to be, but those final decibels sure does come at a price. Fanless PSUs and boxes for hard drives DO add up. My Phantom 350W must have been one of the least price-concerned buys in my life :D

nici

Post by nici » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:01 pm

If i remember correctly i read a review about that a long time ago, it was just branded as something else.

Semi-Fanless, fan starts at 65°C
YIKES! :shock:

rich5050uk

Has anyone any experience of using this product?

Post by rich5050uk » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:18 pm

In principal this design seems a sensible approach to reducing heat and therefore noise inside the case provided you’re not constantly transporting your PC.

Still can’t find many reviews for it. It came to my attention in one of this months UK pc magazines where they reviewed a small number of PSU and gave this product 5 stars.

Would be very interested to hear from anyone who has tried using this product or if you have found any further reviews.

Thanks

Rich

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:12 pm

WTF

Is anyone actually interested in a standard PSU without a fan, and extension leads.........................

Really.........

Are you sure...............

I thought this might actually be a good product, but its not even useful enough to in a standard PC. It must be attached outside, due to non-standard fittings.

Apart from "bling" what does this product actually give.????

Andy

rich5050uk

Post by rich5050uk » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:58 pm

Well it’s clearly not your cup of tea.....but I am interested that’s why I posted. I prefer to save my judgment until at least hearing the experiences of people who have actually tried using it.

It's another option to isolate the psu which creates a lot of heat from the rest of the system which has to be a positive. After all isn’t that why you decided to use the p180 case to achieve this separation. This could provide an alternative for use with any case for those not so keen on the p180. If you want to passively cool a psu having it stand outside in a separate unit surrounded by cooler air doesn’t seem such a bad idea to me in principal.

Sure I can see some of the drawbacks of having another box outside and all it entails. But IF the product resulted in a lower temp inside my pc case and thus fewer fans and therefore noise I for one would be interested to know.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:34 am

Seventeam are well known for making excelent PSU's however this concept is great until you think about the real issues.

The "not my cup of tea" idea got me thinking (as I am drinking some tea :) ), what if some tea was spilled on the PSU............. Death would occur, hopefully only the PSU and not the user, pet, child (pet-child) etc etc.

Just yesterday I had a customer in who had managed to kill her Laptop power-brick with some tea (really) this is a sealed unit, no holes/fans etc etc and this died with some nasty smells and a bit of a pop and some festive crackle.

All I am saying is that this could be the best/most efficient PSU on the planet, but I would still put it inside a case to be safe for sure, which means that it would not be external or be fanless (in reality).

Andy