Questions about my SS Tornado 400W/w Nexus 120mm @7v

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

outoftune

Questions about my SS Tornado 400W/w Nexus 120mm @7v

Post by outoftune » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:03 pm

Yesterday I swapped my SS Tornado 400w stock fan (YL DSM 12) with a nexus 120MM (which I undervolted to 7v). I also cutout the grill on the fan and covered the edges in trimbrite.

The PSU had a 2 pin connector inside that the stock fan plugged into (Im assuming this is for temp controlled fan?) The other end is supposed to connect to the PWR fan on the MB. My Nexus only had a 3 pin and molex, is there a way for me to swap this with the 2pin?

Right now I am running the PSU with the nexus @ a constant 7V. I would like to be able to have the psu temp control that fan if possible. Is this a good idea or would I be better off just running it at a constant 7V? Think this PSU could deal with a constant 5V fan only?

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Re: Questions about my SS Tornado 400W/w Nexus 120mm @7v

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:47 pm

outoftune wrote:The PSU had a 2 pin connector inside that the stock fan plugged into (Im assuming this is for temp controlled fan?) The other end is supposed to connect to the PWR fan on the MB. My Nexus only had a 3 pin and molex, is there a way for me to swap this with the 2pin?
Most PSU fans use a 2-pin fan header as they usually don't monitor fan RPM. I don't know about the Tornado, but many PSU fan headers will fit a 3-pin fan connector leaving the extra pin hanging off the side. Just make sure you've got the correct wires on the right pins.

outoftune

Re: Questions about my SS Tornado 400W/w Nexus 120mm @7v

Post by outoftune » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:49 pm

BillyBuerger wrote:
outoftune wrote:The PSU had a 2 pin connector inside that the stock fan plugged into (Im assuming this is for temp controlled fan?) The other end is supposed to connect to the PWR fan on the MB. My Nexus only had a 3 pin and molex, is there a way for me to swap this with the 2pin?
Most PSU fans use a 2-pin fan header as they usually don't monitor fan RPM. I don't know about the Tornado, but many PSU fan headers will fit a 3-pin fan connector leaving the extra pin hanging off the side. Just make sure you've got the correct wires on the right pins.
thanks. i will have a look. which wires are the "right" ones? :D
so that 2 pin header is for temp control purposes?

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:01 pm

From the "please read before posting" thread at the top of the power supply forum I give you this link:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article83-page1.html

with pictures and an the exact details you need to know for the connectors and wires.

outoftune

Post by outoftune » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:47 pm

dhanson865 wrote:From the "please read before posting" thread at the top of the power supply forum I give you this link:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article83-page1.html

with pictures and an the exact details you need to know for the connectors and wires.
thanks for the heads up.